2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Heater core noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heater core noise

We have a noise coming from the heater core area of a friends 2001. It sounds like coolant is rushing through the system. It only happens above 2000 RPMs. We replaced the thermostat and still noise. I took some pinch of pliers and pinch off both coolant lines and noise went away. The heater does not work that great. My next plan is to make sure the lines through the core are clear and make sure I have no air in the system. If any of you have any idea shoot them my way. thanks
Old 09-02-2009, 09:13 PM

There is a tsb that addresses this
NO: 09-04-99
SUBJECT: Hard To Diagnose Noise Coming From The Engine Turbocharger Area
DATE: Jul. 16, 1999
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves replacement of the engine heater coolant supply hose connector.

NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A CUMMINS 5.9L – 24V DIESEL ENGINE BUILT PRIOR TO ENGINE SERIAL NUMBER (ESN) 56587424. THE ESN IS LOCATED ON THE ENGINE DATA PLATE WHICH IS LOCATED ON THE FRONT LEFT SIDE OF THE ENGINE, AFFIXED TO THE GEAR HOUSING.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
A noise may be present which on initial investigation may sound like a noisy turbocharger bearing. The sound of the noise may be described as a whistle, a squeal, a howl, a moan, or a gurgle. The noise will be more noticeable as engine temperature increases. The noise will most often occur when the warm engine is operated between 1,500 and 2,200 engine rpm’s. The noise is usually heard in the cab, louder on the passenger side or seems to come from the dash vents.

The noise may be caused by the coolant supply hose connector. The connector is located on the cylinder head next to the turbocharger. The connector is used to supply coolant to the heater hose.

DIAGNOSIS:
Set the parking brake. Place the transmission in the park or neutral position.
Start engine and achieve operating temperature until the thermostat is open.
Increase the engine speed until the noise is heard (1,500 to 2,200 rpm). You may need to sit inside the vehicle the hear the noise.
With the noise present, clamp off the heater hose to prevent coolant from flowing through the connector.
If the noise in no longer present, then perform the Repair Procedure.
Stop the engine. Make certain the cooling system has cooled sufficiently to allow repair.
PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty Part No. Description
1 05011901AC 04267020AB
AR (1) 04267020AB Antifreeze/Coolant

REPAIR PROCEDURE:
THIS REPAIR IS COMPATIBLE WITH DAIMLERCHRYSLER'S MOBILE SERVICE PROGRAM AND DOES NOT REQUIRE HOISTS OR OTHER FULL SERVICE FACILITY SPECIAL EQUIPMENT.

Stop the engine. Make certain the cooling system has cooled sufficiently to allow this repair.

NOTE: HOT, PRESSURIZED COOLANT CAN CAUSE INJURY BY SCALDING.

Remove any cooling system pressure.
NOTE: HOT, PRESSURIZED COOLANT CAN CAUSE INJURY BY SCALDING. USING A RAG TO COVER THE RADIATOR PRESSURE CAP, OPEN THE RADIATOR CAP SLOWLY TO THE FIRST STOP. THIS WILL ALLOW ANY BUILT-UP PRESSURE TO VENT TO THE RESERVE/OVERFLOW TANK. AFTER PRESSURE BUILD-UP HAS BEEN RELEASED, REMOVE CAP FROM THE FILLER NECK.

With a large clean container, drain sufficient coolant from the cooling system to prevent coolant loss when removing the heater hose. The heater hose may be clamped off to prevent further coolant loss.
Remove the heater hose clamp and heater hose from the connector.
Replace the connector (p/n 05011901AC). Tighten the connector to 42 Nm (31 ft. lbs.).
Install the heater hose and hose clamp onto the connector.
Add engine coolant that was previously drained from the engine.
Start the engine. Add additional coolant as required.
POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.

TIME ALLOWANCE:
Labor Op. No. Time
24-46-10-97 0.4 Hrs.

FAILURE CODE:
Code Description
P8 New Part
Old 09-02-2009, 09:44 PM

I have the same noise on my gasser. Sounds like coolent rushing through the heater core. bad heater core? Coolent levels are where they should be any ideas? Sorry to hyjack thread.

Thanks
-Mike
Old 09-03-2009, 10:39 AM

You have an air head, or bubble, in the system. Got rid of mine by removing the radiator cap, when the system is cold, and starting the truck. You have to watch for air bubbles releasing as the fluid flows through the radiator. Kind of like "burping" the system (I had to shake mine a bit). Then fill with coolant mix to top of radiator and close it up. This is a large capacity system and an air bubble can take a while to get out of there. Fixed mine!!
Old 09-04-2009, 11:41 AM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
Mine has always done this. I think its just a Dodge Thing.

Kurt
Old 09-15-2009, 10:48 AM

Well mine is a 2001 and have never had that noise. And have never herd any dodge make it and I have ben around lots of them. Some one told me that thermostat might cause that if its not a cummins one. We just went down to napa and got one to try. I rained the coolant in the core and blew air threw it made sure there is not something plugging it. Filled with coolant and ran with the cap off to operational temp and lots of air came out. Still a noise. I ordered that connector and going to try it when it gets in. If that don't fix it im putting in heater core.