2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Grid Heater Always On

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2002, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grid Heater Always On

First time everyone, so please excuse anything that doesn't have the proper name............My wife drove my 99 Dodge Cummins to work (first mistake.....I know). Called me at work with dead batteries. Tried to jump the truck but with no success. To make a long story short, grid heater was stuck in on position. Disconected battery wire leading to it. Went to Dealers Saturday morning. They said it was between $180 and $190 to fix and it was a celonoid. They rigged it temporary for me so I could use it. This morning, the same thing happend. I tried disconnecting the relay on the drivers side fender near the battery (the one that incases all the relays and circuit breakers) but that didn't help. Is there some other place to look that has a time delay (that relates to the grid heater) or anything besides the relays or circuit breakers? Thanks so much for your help. I've found this place but I won't be a stranger..............
Old 12-15-2002, 05:17 PM

Re:Grid Heater Always On

Sounds like the solenoid is stuck on. I believe it's mounted under the drivers side battery on the fender well. Follow the power wire from the grids back to it. You should be able to get one from NAPA a lot cheaper. It looks like the old solenoids they used to use on cars for the starter when they were mounted on the fenders.
Old 12-15-2002, 05:22 PM

probably a ST-80 [4 wire setup] ST-84 [grounded to case] or a ST-85 [3 wire setup]<br> and it will cost ALOT less if that is your problem-<br><br>HTH<br>BRYAN [does not work at napa]
Old 12-15-2002, 05:37 PM

[quote author=Smoke Dog link=board=5;threadid=8353;start=0#80670 date=1039994226]<br>Sounds like the solenoid is stuck on. I believe it's mounted under the drivers side battery on the fender well. Follow the power wire from the grids back to it. You should be able to get one from NAPA a lot cheaper. It looks like the old solenoids they used to use on cars for the starter when they were mounted on the fenders.<br>[/quote]<br><br>The dealer disconnect one solenoid but that one stays on also. That is why I can't figure out the problem
Old 12-15-2002, 06:32 PM

Disconnect both of them.
Old 12-15-2002, 06:45 PM

The intake air heater relays (or solenoid as we are calling them) are replaced as a single unit. If one is fried, there is a good chance the other is also. Disconnect the leads going up to the grid heaters from both relays (solenoids) and see if that stops the battery drain.
Old 12-15-2002, 06:56 PM

Thanks for the answer SMOKEDOG. Do you think these can be found at the local NAPA, VIP, or other major parts dealers?
Old 12-15-2002, 08:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had no luck finding replacement solenoids anywhere (Napa, Cummins) except from the Dodge dealer. They were $90CAN for both (they come in pairs with the mounting bracket). Seems to me I read either here or on &quot;the other site&quot; that someone had rigged up some generic ones.
Old 12-16-2002, 07:41 AM

I couldn't find any last night searching the web but my internet access was hosed up. See if the dealer will give you a discount. One other thing. If you do it yourself, which should not be a problem, make sure you note where the wires are coming off the old ones (especially the control lines from the ECM) so you get them back correctly.
Old 12-17-2002, 04:27 PM

Over on the TDR a member found some after-market relays to replace the OEM ones. I believe they where actually more heavy duty than the OEM relays and of coarse less expensive than what Dodge wants. I don't have time right now to go search and find the name of the outfit selling these relays, but will try later tonight. <br><br>Hoipe you did not already go to the *******.
Old 12-17-2002, 06:39 PM

I called the steeler today and they said that the relay was on back order but I fund one in stock at another ******* for $28.
Old 12-18-2002, 06:46 PM

[quote author=1tuffram link=board=5;threadid=8353;start=0#81466 date=1040164026]
Over on the TDR a member found some after-market relays to replace the OEM ones. I believe they were actually more heavy duty than the OEM relays and of coarse less expensive than what Dodge wants. I don't have time right now to go search and find the name of the outfit selling these relays, but will try later tonight.

Hope you did not already go to the *******.
[/quote]

OPPPS, my bad!!! I found the thread on the relays I mention above and they were NOT for the grid heaters, but an off road light install project a guy was doing. Just in case you where interested the relays and many other electrical component stuff where at waytekwire.com