2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Getting truck painted,what color?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting truck painted,what color?

Ok guys, Its time for some body work on my truck. The whole thing needs to be repainted. My brother is a professional body man/painter (12 years). Two years ago we did a complete resto on my 90 Mustang, all I had to pay for was the supplies (about 700 bucks) and my brother did all the work for free. The car looks better than new.

Now its my trucks turn, Its silver now which isnt bad looking but if we are stripping it down and redoing it anyways I figure why not change the color. Im just not sure what color I should go with. Thats where you guys come in. I need ideas. I can pick any color in the world so Ive got alot to think about and I was hopping you guys could help me narrow it down. I decided on "Prowler Orange" for my Mustang and I thought about making them match but im not sure. Im rolling on stock aluminium wheels and the rest of the truck looks stock except for the leveling kit. So what do you think would look best?

Thanks in advance for any input
Old 01-31-2010, 08:41 PM

i would stick with silver or go with white... those are my 1 favorite colors for a truck... plus you dont need to worry about the door jams if you stick with the same color...
Old 01-31-2010, 08:44 PM

Primer Gray! No scratches, washing, waxing, and any blemishes you can touch up with a rattle can...
Old 01-31-2010, 08:55 PM

I am considering staying with the silver, it looks pretty good. I was also kinda thinking Inferno red from the newer rams. There is always black too

edd: the primer would be a nice low maintenace option but if we are gonna strip this thing down I'd like to finish it out nice.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:57 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All those colors would be nice...Put all in a hat and draw the lucky color...
Old 02-01-2010, 10:12 AM

There is a 2nd gen that I see every once in a while that is Atlantic Blue Pearl. I think it looks fantastic! My other favorite is the Champagne/Almond tan color, I dont know what dodge calls it but if I ever paint my 98 it will be between those two.

Scott
Old 02-01-2010, 12:40 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Is your silver what Dodge calls Driftwood?
If so stay with it. It looks the cleanest of any color no matter how dirty it is.
I've never seen it this way but many people call the Driftwood color gold rather than silver.
Guess it must be due to everybody being different.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:22 PM

I love red - always a good choice if you are not introverted.

White is great too - looks great with chrome and black accents / accessories.

Just not tan - waaaay to common and boring IMO.

Silver is a great choice too... especially a deep, glossy candy type silver.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a Dakota that was a copper-orange color that was very sharp. It was called amber fire.It was a sport with black bumpers and accents which really complimented the orange.If I ever paint my truck it will be amber fire.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:48 PM

Lent's (I think) repainted his that copper/bronze color from the 70s power wagons if that's the same color you are describing. It looks awesome, but has already been done by him.

I love that color myself - first truck I ever drove was a 74 power wagon 4x4 in that copper/bronze.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:51 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
canary yellow/red stripes
Old 02-01-2010, 05:10 PM

Another vote for Silver
-Easier to do
-Better Resale value. White & Siver are the most popular colors
-Hides dirt well.
A couple xtra coats of clear coat will set it off nice!
Old 02-01-2010, 05:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by blackcloud
I am considering staying with the silver, it looks pretty good. I was also kinda thinking Inferno red from the newer rams. There is always black too
I'd stick with the silver. I like it and id doesn't show dirt. Black only looks good when it comes out of the detail shop. It is also hot in the summer. Red...only big pretentious *** holes would drive a red truck. Red also attracts cops like flys to ****.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:27 PM

What ever you do don't paint it black unless you are just going to use it as a show truck. Black hides nothing shows even the finest washing scratches and swirls. Plus its hot in the summer time.Ii wish that my truck was white or silver. IMO white sport package trucks are sweet lookin!
Old 02-01-2010, 06:16 PM

I have a white over driftwood and am also trying to decide on what color(s) to repaint. I saw a Peterbuilt in a CO truckstop that had a color I like and am going with that, and stay with the white top portion so as not to need to repaint the door frames.

Quick Reply: Getting truck painted,what color?