2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Gelled Fuel? What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Straight anti-gel formulas do not work on already gelled fuel. You need the melt-down (911) formulas (that contain alcohol) to thaw gelled fuel unless you can get the truck into a heated area or have Mother Nature oblige with a nice warm spell.
Instructions on the fuel additive bottle should remind you to add to warm fuel for maximum effectiveness. I run my tank very low in the winter so I can fill with a lot of warm fuel and dump in my additive.

If you can warm up gelled fuel COMPLETELY you shouldn't have to drop the filter and can avoid using the nasty melt-down formula. Just need to get it started and let the fuel circulate well before letting if cool too much.

I don't use Power Service. If you want something commonly available that works better, try Howes. I actually use other (better) additives, but they are not available in all areas.

Cold?
The populated/coastal areas of Alaska are usually warmer than me in the winter.

I assume RUG is Regular Unleaded Gasoline? Not for the common user with a modern diesel. Yes, it does break up the wax, but get the ratio off and you risk serious engine & pump damage.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by infidel
That's the problem with modern ATF, most of it is now 80% additives, most of which don't burn.
Result is ATF may leave damaging ash deposits in your engine.
Sure you can add it to your fuel and probably won't notice the damage till 100,000 miles down the road.
A lot of people burn waste oils for heating. I should get a photo of the burners after they run hydraulic fluid and/or synthetics. A lot of nasty deposits.

Back when ATF was basically #10 nondetergent oil it worked as a diesel supplement. Mostly used to justify that red tint in your fuel from using the wrong pump...
Old 01-09-2009, 05:59 PM

I just looked at where your at fueling & you can sure spell cold.
And yes RUG is reg unleaded gas & I have gone as high as 10% in cat's, IDI's older cummins but wouldn't go that high in a common rail or similar.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by shorthair
I just looked at where your at fueling & you can sure spell cold.
This has been a winter of 2 choices: cold or snow. Everytime it warms above zero we get another dump of snow. Temps are running about 15° lower than average ... when it isn't snowing.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:08 PM

90 f250 4x4 sc zf5 3.55 & A german shorthair codriver
I just noticed your signature and chuckled.
I met a pickup tonight and the driver's posture caught my attention. He was trying to avoid a face washing from the co-pilot.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:42 PM

Thanks for all the replies you guys but i got it running the other day... So i personally dont need any more info... ACTUALLY now that i think about it, keep the posts coming. Im sure this information will help me in the future and/or someone else.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:00 PM

Been putting it in my semi's for 30 years.......
Like I said, a mechanic's tale from the 60s. When you get your fuel tank dipped by the tax men, how long does it take to convince them that it's atf?

On edit, just read what RUG is. Since you are dumping gasoline into the tank you may as well continue the atf. The engine won't last long enough to see if the atf damaged it.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:17 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
When you get your fuel tank dipped by the tax men, how long does it take to convince them that it's atf?
The tax guys are trained and very used to fuel that's the wrong color for reasons other than offroad red..
That's why the sample goes to a lab before you get a ticket.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:11 PM

I guess no one on here uses staynadyne? I thought that was one of the best additives
Old 01-14-2009, 07:25 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by bling bling
I guess no one on here uses staynadyne? I thought that was one of the best additives
too expensive
Old 01-14-2009, 08:05 PM

I buy the little bottles a case at a time and it is cheaper than the truck stop stuff. Is price the only reason no one uses it? I always have heard you want an additive that seperates water and it is the only stuff I have found that does that?
Old 01-15-2009, 09:53 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by bling bling
I guess no one on here uses stanadyne? I thought that was one of the best additives
What I didn't like is that Stanadyne gelled up in the can when the temps got below zero.
Heck if I want to carry that stinky stuff around in the cab just to make it pourable.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:38 AM

For me, too hard to find. Only know of I place in the area that carries it. and I usually don't get there when they are open.
My brother brings me Penray every Thanksgiving. That is still my favorite.

Power Service is the only thing that does not slush up on me in the winter.
I use an old Power Service jug filled with #1 and a dose of additive for a fill up. It stays in the toolbox next to the fill cap.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:35 AM

As for long term damage if using WMO or ATF saves me as much as it has proven to for over 40k miles in my ferd I save enough to pay for a a complete fuel system every year or a rebuild every 3rd year. Filter well before adding it to your tank know your source & the risk, if your so broke that the reason to run waste is you can't afford anything else then I submit you have way bigger problems than we can fix here. Cummins has had a system that added oil to stationary units as they ran & many of those motors ran on that blend for years, yes at lower ratios than some of us are running which just brings the rebuild time foward, I still contend that if your saving enough to more than pay for the damages as my experience has shown then your ahead of the game.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:50 AM

Umo

Originally Posted by ttcfan4476
i have a filter wrap that just luckey has on his jetta on my truck and no problems and i run umo at 50%.
Did you say you use "used Motor OIL" at 50% blend?
Do you filter it before putting it in the engine? or just pour the thick black stuff right in? How many miles have you been doing this for?, and have you had any issues from doing it?

Mark

Quick Reply: Gelled Fuel? What to do?