2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Gauge install ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gauge install ???

Specific questions on gauge install.<br><br>Using Autometer mech. fuel pressure gauge w/isolator. Two options on routing SS line. One is right down the pillar, tuck right in front of the insulation, next to the wire loom, and drop down. Very difficult to access this location, and the bends are tough to make w/ the SS hose. Other option is to turn line to the right, and run behind the headlight switch, then drop down. <br>How did you do this?<br><br>Where did you locate your isolator? We have a bracket mocked up, and ready to build, that utilizes the brake master cyl. bolts, and mounts the isolator up high just behind, and to the outboard side of the brake reservoir.<br><br>We plan to tap light power off of the #5 fuse, as suggested by many. For those of you w/Autometer gauges, do you find the lights too bright @ night if not dimmed? We plan to use the green bulb covers. Fuse tap. I have never used one of these. Where to find? I have a good auto elec. supplier here, but have not been there to ask yet. <br><br>Pyro probe. We are going to mount this post for now, and go pre later. We have our reasons, and understand that we will need to be pre in the near future. Nuf' said. Where best in the elbow? Any particular spot better than another, aside from the obvious &quot;easiest to get the drill into&quot;?<br><br>This should about cover it for us, we hope.<br><br>Thanks.
Old 03-16-2003, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re:Gauge install ???

Eric,<br> I can't help ya with the fuel pres. gauge routing as I have the electric Westach which is mounted in the cubby-hole spot. However, I do have the Auto Meter EGT, Boost, and Trans temp gauges in the A-pillar mount and I used the green bulb covers on mine. This makes for a real good match with the rest of the stock dash gauge lighting. I also used one of the fuse-taps which I purchased at Pep Boys auto parts. I would imagine you can find them at any auto parts store in the same section as the fuses. I can't really help ya with the pyro location because I mounted mine pre-turbo.<br> I'm sure that someone will chime in with some more information. ;D<br><br><br><br>Dennis
Old 03-16-2003, 07:28 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts

Have noticed on these posts that many folks tap into the #5 fuse. To my knowledge this will only provide full bright and no dimming. If I am correct, is there a reason why nobody makes their additional meters capable of dimming? It is so easy to do.
Old 03-16-2003, 07:30 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I tapped into the ash tray light.
It dims with the dash lights.

(Yes Dennis.....I'm following you)
Old 03-16-2003, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mexstan,
I used the fuse-tap for power to my gauges when the ignition is turned on. I'm not sure which fuse I put the fuse-tap in for that (I would have to go out to the truck and look).
As for power to my gauge lights, I spliced into the wire that feeds the ashtray light. This way my gauge lights are only on when I turn on the parking lights or headlights and they also dim or brighten with the rest of the dash lighting using the factory switch.

Ed,,,,,,,,, are you following me?
Old 03-16-2003, 07:41 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts

Makes sense to me. Maybe I missed something (would not be the first, or last time) but I do not recall l seeing anything about dimming so got curious and just had to ask. Thanks for solving this 'mystery'.
Old 03-17-2003, 12:06 AM

Thanks, guys. We're done. Used some previous input, and figured out the rest. Not rocket science.

Trending Topics

Old 03-17-2003, 12:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eric, which way did you end up running your SS line? When I had a mechanical Autometer FP gauge in the A-pillar it was a real PITA to run the line.<br><br>I tapped my gauge lights into the dimming circuit on the headlight switch assy., pulled it out and checked voltage on several wires 'til I found the right one.<br><br>Vaughn
Old 03-17-2003, 09:32 AM

SS line was a PITA. Went down along the pillar. Little twisting and turning to get the plug past the body seam sealer. The rest was easy. <br><br>Heading for the local hose shop today for some fuse taps, and SS line for canister to isolator. Install them, and Joe's all done.<br><br>Then it's my turn. Least I sound cooler than him, for now. <br>
Old 03-17-2003, 10:39 PM

The gauge install turned out great! Thanks Eric for a job well done. This bombin thing is getting fun. ;D As soon as I get him to install on my 4&quot; exhaust which has been layin around for two weeks, he won't sound better anymore.
Old 03-17-2003, 10:46 PM

[quote author=NAIL BENDER link=board=5;threadid=12268;start=0#117318 date=1047962346]<br>The gauge install turned out great! Thanks Eric for a job well done. This bombin thing is getting fun. ;D As soon as I get him to install on my 4&quot; exhaust which has been layin around for two weeks, he won't sound better anymore. <br>[/quote]<br><br>Cool! ;D Too bad I couldn't make it to supervise you guys.... <br><br>So Joe, let's hear what your readings are. Pyro, boost &amp; FP. ;D <br>Did you find out you need a new lift pump?
Old 03-17-2003, 10:56 PM

[quote author=DEZLPWR link=board=5;threadid=12268;start=0#117321 date=1047962779]<br><br>Cool! ;D Too bad I couldn't make it to supervise you guys.... <br><br>So Joe, let's hear what your readings are. Pyro, boost &amp; FP. ;D <br>Did you find out you need a new lift pump? <br>[/quote]<br><br>You shoulda been here for a weekend of beer and gauges Steve. Since you didn't show, we just talked about you. <br><br>I havn't driven to far, only working around the corner right now. Pyro gets to around 600 post turbo, Boost is 25psi and fuel pressure is at 14 idle, 12 cruise and 9 wot.
Old 03-17-2003, 11:08 PM

[quote author=NAIL BENDER link=board=5;threadid=12268;start=0#117324 date=1047963398]<br>[quote author=DEZLPWR link=board=5;threadid=12268;start=0#117321 date=1047962779]<br><br>Cool! ;D Too bad I couldn't make it to supervise you guys.... <br><br>So Joe, let's hear what your readings are. Pyro, boost &amp; FP. ;D <br>Did you find out you need a new lift pump? <br>[/quote]<br><br>You shoulda been here for a weekend of beer and gauges Steve. Since you didn't show, we just talked about you. <br><br>I havn't driven to far, only working around the corner right now. Pyro gets to around 600 post turbo, Boost is 25psi and fuel pressure is at 14 idle, 12 cruise and 9 wot.<br>[/quote]<br>Those sound like good #'s to me... Not too familiar with post turbo pyro readings, but boost and especially fuel pressure look good! ;D
Old 03-17-2003, 11:33 PM

Saw a &quot;fuse tap&quot; today. Did not care for it. Decided to use product called &quot;add-a-fuse&quot;, by Littelfuse. Nice unit, avail in ATO, and MINI. Joe waits for gauge lights until they arrive.<br><br>Might need a bit more bleeding @ the fuel side of iso.<br><br>The backup lights have been improved. A few $$, but worth it. Switch is 8) too.<br><br>Been a busy few days around here, and still a long way to go.
Old 03-18-2003, 11:55 PM

Still chippin' away. Rear mudflaps on. Some issues to contend with yet. Proper finish on aux. brackets. Some hardware improvements. SS everywhere 8)<br><br>SS tip is now on. Thanks Rip!<br><br>Orientation looks good for now, but will I still respect it in the AM? <br><br>I'll let you know then

Quick Reply: Gauge install ???