2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

full time tension in my brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
full time tension in my brakes?

how much tension are my brakes supposed to have when at rest (pedal not pressed)?
when jacked off the ground are my tires supposed to spin freely or should they come to a stop quickly?
this brake problem is killin me
have bought 3 new rotors in the past 3 years
"sqealers" have never squealed to warn me of a prob.
maybe sumthin to do with back breaks not workin.....putin all the pressure up front?
how often do u guys replace ur brake pads?
rotors and pads look fine today.......but as im decelerating i hear a low rumble up front.
not any engine problem, i can be coasting slowing down and hear the sound.
when i press the brake pedal, sound goes away.
i guess it may be a bearing but i cant see any play in them.

ne advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
Old 08-26-2005, 09:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since nobody else is gonna step in. First, regarding the rears. If there properly adjusted you should get no more than a light dragging sound if that when jacked up and spun individually. First gens that Ive had were notorious for having self adjuster problems. My duallys would lock up every few days until I replaced the adjusters and springs etc. The fronts, its normal to have a small amount of drag. Ive never been able to spin a wheel freely and have it do more than a few reveloutions at best. If your having front problems I would say you have a hung up caliper, The more you drive the worst it will get. As it heats up the pads they can become more draggy. Also if theres air in the system its heating up and causing expansion of the puck and causing drag. Also carefully check your wheel bearings for adjustment. I would also next time you do pads clean the sliding surfaces for the calipers etc good and lube them lightly with caliper grease only. I use the cheapo Napa pads and have never had any problems, however they do wear unevenly somewhat. Hum, low rumble up front sounds like metal to metal