2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Fuel tank removal questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 12:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fuel tank removal questions

I need to remove my tank and pickup/float module is there anything special I need to do this job, i.e. special wrenches, new gaskets etc?

Thanks in advance.
Max
Old 02-12-2005, 06:14 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You'll need a strap wrench or large Channel-Locks to remove the module ring nut.

It's far easier to tilt the bed than it is to drop the tank. Just undo the fuel fill and vent hoses, remove the three bed hold down bolts on the drive's side, loosen the three on the passenger's. Tilt the bed up and wedge in a 2x4 to prop it up. You can tilt the bed with two people lifting and one propping or a comealong from above or jack from below. Only need to raise the bed 18" for easy module access.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:19 AM

Max, the tilt bed which Bill has stated is easier if you do not have fifth wheel plates, gooseneck ball, tool boxes etc. My bed has all three and it was easier to drop the tank. I used a motorcycle lift and two straps and it went like a breeze. Just lower enough to disconnect the connections and then lower all the way. I also used four jack stands and lifted the truck up a bit. Goodluck,,Rick
Old 02-12-2005, 01:47 PM

I generally tip the bed to access the senders.Normally by the time I get them they have full tanks of fuel to contend with first. I use either a strap wrench or a chain wrench to remove the collar on the sender. A hammer and punch generally cracks the collar. Make sure the box is secured safely before you get under there, I don't like to read sad stories later.
Old 02-12-2005, 09:57 PM

Thanks for the tips guys. I ended up dropping the tank because I have a tool box and the spray in bed liner was sprayed over the bolts. It was a good thing it only had 5 gallons of fuel in it . I did have the same problem with the front strap and the carrier bearing. I just took about 1/8 inch off each side of the strap with a grinder. Now I can remove & install the strap without any problems. I did have to go to the store for a strap wrench. Like I needed an excuse to buy more tools . I should have the bulk of the bottom feed, lift pump relocate and new fuel lines done tomorrow . When I am finished I will post results in the performance section.

Thanks again.
Max
Old 02-13-2005, 10:37 PM

So, the bed is bolted down from the top? I too have a spray in liner, but I see no 'bulges' in the liner that look like bolt heads..
Old 02-13-2005, 11:19 PM

I was wrong the bed is bolted down from the bottom. I could have swore I remembered bolt heads in the bed. I guess it was my old Dodge that was bolted form the top. I should have lifted the bed mat and looked before I started typing . It was still easier to drop the tank because of the tool box and what I was doing to the tank. If I was only replacing the tank module it would be easier to lift the bed.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:21 PM

ohh, whew! Good deal. I have to do my sender as well and was planning on doing the tilt the bed method.

Old 02-13-2005, 11:27 PM

The hardest part of the job is disconnecting the feed and return lines. The releases for the quick connect fittings were a little hard to trigger.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:08 AM

Just wondering are you guys just replacing the sending units or are you buying new ones and fixing them first? I have one on the work table half fixed, and I will soon need to drop the tank and put it in.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:32 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The question is for the $40 or so it costs for a new sender is it worth your time to rebuild an old one that may not work and go though the hassle of replacing it twice?
I think most folks just go for a new one.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:27 PM

Is there any trick that you need to do to have the sender to make it read right? My sender is bad also and was thinking about replacing it.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:17 PM

Well I know that there are instructions floating around on a fix on the sending units. Mine also went out and is still out, and has been for about a year now. I bought a new one and am in the process of fixing it now. The one fix on it only cost about $1.50 in parts, and your time to fix. Im about half way through on it now, and will install it when the rain stops.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:53 PM

Umm, why are you fixing the new one?
Old 02-15-2005, 12:49 AM

I don't know on the sender repair questions. I removed the tank and module to gain access for my bottom feed fuel supply. I am curious on what you are doing to fix the module if mine ever gives me problems.

Quick Reply: Fuel tank removal questions