2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Fuel leaking at fuel tank module...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel leaking at fuel tank module...

Truck has not been started in two weeks but fuel is leaking down from the top of the tank.

Hard to see up in there, but the rubber cap on the "auxiliary capped fitting" is cracked. The tank is about 1/3 full. The top of the tank has diesel and dust on it. Can't determine the leak.

Could the "o" ring in the return line be bad and the fuel is draining from the line and filter?

If I need to replace the "o" ring do I have to buy the quick connect fitting to get it, or can I peal out and replace?

Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
First thing, feel up there and see it the metal lines coming out of the module feel scaly. The older ones, not sure when they changed to plastic, tend to rot and start leaking fuel. Dodge used to sell remanned modules, not sure if they still do, otherwise a good time to upgrade to the drawstraw.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:09 AM

I'm going out to clean and give a better inspection.

If I have a supply or return line leaking at the connection can the ends be replaced to get a new "O" ring?
Old 12-13-2012, 09:55 AM

The supply and return lines are plastic as is everything else on the module.

I went to the local dealer yesterday to see if he had a rollover valve. He looked on his computer and said there was no rollover valve on a diesel because "diesel would not ignite like gasoline".

I looked in my factory service manual and it details it on 14-25! I'm considering adding some line to extend it up higher.

I had wrapped some paper towel over the end of the rollover valve and around the fuel lines last night and this morning the towel around the valve was saturated.

How can fuel leak out of a tank when it's 1/3 full? I'm thinking the only thing that makes sense is the return line connection leaking at the module and fuel bleeds out of the line....but quite a bit of fuel has leaked in the last two weeks!!

I'd like to fix this without removing the tank or bed if at all possible.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:38 AM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by D2 Cat
The supply and return lines are plastic as is everything else on the module.

I went to the local dealer yesterday to see if he had a rollover valve. He looked on his computer and said there was no rollover valve on a diesel because "diesel would not ignite like gasoline".

I looked in my factory service manual and it details it on 14-25! I'm considering adding some line to extend it up higher.

I had wrapped some paper towel over the end of the rollover valve and around the fuel lines last night and this morning the towel around the valve was saturated.

How can fuel leak out of a tank when it's 1/3 full? I'm thinking the only thing that makes sense is the return line connection leaking at the module and fuel bleeds out of the line....but quite a bit of fuel has leaked in the last two weeks!!

I'd like to fix this without removing the tank or bed if at all possible.
yeah, diesel doesn't burn at all........ The dealership guys are getting more and more useless.....

Unless you have very small hands you are gonna be pullin the bed or dropping the tank.

There is a thread about tipping the bed to the passenger side that sounded like a good idea, that way you can do it without help if need be......
Old 12-13-2012, 11:47 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
Unless you have very small hands you are gonna be pullin the bed or dropping the tank.
Actually, you just need to be small in general to try and work on the tank fittings without raising the bed or dropping the tank. When I installed by Raptor lift pump, I had to disconnect the old supply line and connect the new one. I managed to get it done in place, but there is only room for one arm over the frame rail and I could only see what I was doing using an inspection mirror. Not fun...still have the busted up thumb to prove it.