2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

FUEL GAUGE READINGS

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FUEL GAUGE READINGS

Did the research and can't make heads or tails on the topic. On my 97, I can fill it till she is runnin' over and will still read only 1/2 tank. What is usually the problem here?<br><br>Kip
Old 03-22-2003, 09:19 PM

Re:FUEL GAUGE READINGS

beats me, today my fuel gauge read 1/8th of a tank and all of a sudden spittin and spuddering it went dead. so i thought oh crap my lift pump has gonne, and i could'nt start her. So of to dodge we go on the back of a F450 ford tow truck &gt; to fined out i had air in my fuel line thay think it was run dry so they say my gauge is screwed i said i had put some fuel in and it had moved. dodge said the sensor can go and read the wrong levels of fuel sometimes up or down?? so tuesday it's going in to get cheacked out. that is not much help for you i know but your not alone is what i'm saying i guess<br>
Old 03-23-2003, 02:04 AM

These trucks (12 valvers) have a known problem with inaccurate fuel readings. The sending unit in the fuel tank is the weak link. It gets worn and the gauge reading goes poof. Use the trip meter until you either drop the tank or lift the bed up. That wil give you acess to the sending unit in the fuel tank.<br>John
Old 03-23-2003, 06:29 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yup, what they said..... My 98 has been doing the same thing since I bought it used about one year ago. Took the time to get prices, but since I have only had the bed off two times still driving on the odometer....... I just fill it up about every 400 miles and no problems. Now if I can just get the time to lift the bed two or three more times I might get the sending unit changed!
Old 03-24-2003, 08:49 PM

In y'alls experiences, is it easier to lift the bed or drop a near empty tank?? Had to do a fuel pump in a grand cherokee the other day, cut a hole in the back cargo area!!!!!<br><br>Kip
Old 03-24-2003, 09:17 PM

I have not dropped the tank, I lifted the bed. Actually, a front end loader did the lifting.<br>John<br>
Old 03-24-2003, 09:24 PM

I just picked my sender up today, I have had 2 of these trucks and both have had the same problem around the same mileage. Its kinda weird though, one was 2 years old with 34,000 on it and the other is 7 years old, same mileage. Anyway I'd be interested in some opinions on lifting the bed vs. dropping the tank.<br><br>John<br><br>
Old 03-24-2003, 09:45 PM

I dropped the tank when I did mine, it wasn't any fun, but did get it changed. Also had a bath in diesel fuel when I pulled the canister that the sending unit is mount in out. I've heard that you don't have to completely remove the box, just losen everything up and slide it back enough to expose the top of the fuel tank?? That may be the easier route.<br><br>I've also heard the high flow fuel pumps, such as those at truck stops, are what's hard on the sending unit's float arm assembly, causing it to wear and loose contact with the grid, giving the erroneous readings.<br>
Old 03-26-2003, 11:39 AM

I have changed several of these sending units. Only real tricks are. 1. drive till your sure it is as close to empty as possible. 2. getting the wiring un couple before dropping the tank is a challenge. No room for your hands and the clips are not real cooperative. Other than that, the tank is held by two metal straps and they are hel be two bolts on one end of each strap. Use a floor jack to hold the tank up, remove the straps, undoo the wiring and lower the tank. Istall new sending unit and reverse the above.<br><br>Good luck<br><br>Gary
Old 03-28-2003, 06:28 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have dropped the tank once to replace a sending unit on a friends truck. IMHO I will stay with lifting the bed. My son and I managed to pick the bed up and slide it back far enough to have easy access to the fuel tank. Only two cautions... Make sure you remember to disconnect and remove all the torx screws around your filler neck, and the other is place some cardboard or something over your rear bumper to protect from scratches. The bed will sit on the tires and the rear bumper. Trying to remember, but I think only about 6 or maybe 8 bed bolts to remove. Best part, no bath in fuel.