2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

front rotors resurface ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 10:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question front rotors resurface ??

hi
how do i get the front rotors resurfaced , on the truck or must i remove them to have it done ?
Old 10-24-2007, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just buy new ones, its not worth the hassel, i've had to do it a couple of times. its not too hard the only special tool you need is the axel nut socket, like 15 bucks at your local parts house. trust me its worth it, and the rotors are pretty cheap.

oh and buy the cheapest pads you can, the more expensive the pad the faster they wear out your rotor.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tinbanger
oh and buy the cheapest pads you can, the more expensive the pad the faster they wear out your rotor.

I don't really know about that last statement. I can get a set of organic pads for $12. I refuse to try them, but I have my doubts that organic will do a very good job stopping a load as heavy as our trucks... not to mention any load we happen to be pulling.

My gut tends to go just the opposite direction. I say get the best pads you can afford, and make sure you can stop your truck and the load you're pulling. You may have to replace rotors a little more often, but as you said, they're cheap.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:09 AM

If they're OEM you might be able to get them resurfaced, and I seriously stress MIGHT. If they're an autozone, advance auto, pep boys, napa, oreilly's special odds are very good they can't be resurfaced. Auto parts are so cheap nowadays it's ridiculous. I even had the parts lady who ran my local auto zone laugh when I asked if their brands were resurfaceable.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:12 AM

lgp, just because they are more expensive does not mean they will stop better. If you go to a parts house, their more expensive brands, or models are made to last longer, not stop better.
Now there are the exceptions to the rule with pads that are specifically made to stop better by specific companies that cater to "performance" but your regular wagner/raybestos/etc are made to last longer therefore can be sold for more money. Most regular people don't care how well they stop (as long as the work of course) they just don't want to pay a shop to replace brake parts every year.
That said, I'd probably stay away from the $12 pads as well, but I wouldn't be buying the top model either.

Travis
Old 10-24-2007, 10:46 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by xtoyz17
If they're OEM you might be able to get them resurfaced, and I seriously stress MIGHT. If they're an autozone, advance auto, pep boys, napa, oreilly's special odds are very good they can't be resurfaced. Auto parts are so cheap nowadays it's ridiculous. I even had the parts lady who ran my local auto zone laugh when I asked if their brands were resurfaceable.
a lot of them are made in china!
Old 10-24-2007, 12:49 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Oldblues, why do you want to resurface your front rotors?
Old 10-24-2007, 06:56 PM

when i first got my truck in 01 I was told by the dealer to get them resurfaced for inspection that cost me over 300 $ and I waited all day, that was the last time that happened every since I just bought new ones they cost me about 60 each wheel I think for the rotors and weren't that hard to install
Old 10-24-2007, 10:53 PM

hi rare 1,
i have some shake when i apply the brakes so it is time for a resurface to correct it !
Old 10-24-2007, 11:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm at 110K and just installed my third set of linings. I've cut my rotors twice and still have alot left before min thick. Pro Cut on car lathe is an impressive piece of equipment.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:40 PM

hi
yea thats what im a thinkin !

a light cut and good to go has got to be easyer/ cheeeper than replacing the rotors !

what did they charge to do the cutting ?

i just have to find a shop that can do it !
Old 10-24-2007, 11:44 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
If the shake is from a warped rotor, resurfacing won't help. You will need new rotors. If the shake is from glazed pads, just replace the pads if the rotor is not too ugly. If you keep the rotors, clean them and check for oil, grease, brake fluid. A perfectly smooth rotor surface is not necessary. I use the house brand pads at Auto Zone, they are cheap, won't eat your rotors, and you get free ones when they wear out. Oh, and they stop as well as any.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i will never ever buy another set of expensive pads....they were soo hard they warped my rotors from too much heat, blue spots all around...be it as it may, the cheapo $34.00 bendix has lasted me the longest now and hasnt warped anything..
Old 10-25-2007, 03:34 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
All this depends several facts. First, if it shakes or surges during a stop, it's most likely that the rotors are warped. They can be resurfaced, if they are thick enough to shave out the runout. You'll never know untill they are placed on a brake lathe and measured for runout. A good brake shop can and in 9 out of 10 cases, measure them for free.

Don't take them to a ratty brake shop. unfortunatley, the signs don't say ratty brake shop on the front of the building. The brake shop by my work is the worst I've seen. I've used them once and will never again. I watched them break 3 of 4 lugs off of a car and tell the driver he outa get that fixed. Yes you read that right. They sent the car out with one lug nut on the right back wheel. The guy got really hacked when he was told, but the manager just ook his miney and told him to leave.

The only thing they did for me was turn my rotors. Rotors are not cheap by the way. Unless you have money to burn. I paid well over $100 each for mine. And a good shop will truew them up for about $20 each.

And stay away from Auto Zone pads. Even though they are lifetime warranty, they won't last. I've had a set fly apart and destroy a rotor. AZ was glad to give me new pads, but not a $300 rotor for our Grand Prix.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:35 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
I've tried cheap ones I've tried expensive ones, and the ONLY ones I buy nowadays are the ones from the dealer. If you want "factory" brakes you have to use factory parts be it a small car or a big truck.

Quick Reply: front rotors resurface ??