2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

front end sway

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
front end sway

OK, I have been fighting a front end problem for several months. at speeds over 30 mph, when turning the steering wheel. The steering will be slow to respond then it will over compensate. This can be scary at speeds over 60 mph.

I have had the ball joints replaced, replaced the track bar with one from Rock Auto (Thuren's would not fit), replaced the entire drag link, and entire tie rod.

this evening, I layed under the pickup and had someone turn the steering wheel back and forth and noticed that all my joints are tight, but the axle is swaying back and forth. (left to right) could this be the culprit

My first thought was a bad track bar, but it only has a couple of hundred miles on it. is it bad or are there other parts that that can cause this steering over correction?
Old 09-12-2007, 08:37 PM

You can try turning the allen screw on top of the steering box. There is a bolt on the screw itself that you have to loosen first. Tighten the screw clockwise (I think) a 1/2 a turn at a time and test drive till you get it tight enough. This should reduce the play in your steering.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

hi
i am going through the stearing on mine now !

1 . get a ssi bracket and an 03 or newer track bar , best money i ever spent !!!!!!!!

2 . the stear box comes off very easily , remove it fix any leaks and adjust the bearing load where the steering shaft from the stearing wheel connecs FIRST ! just remove all slop and back off 1/4in.

3. then adjust the screw on the top alu cover ,after you center the input stearing shaft, by loosining the lock nut and holding the nut and turning it in till it lightly stopes and then backing off 1/2 turn!

this will give excelent controll and firm feel .

any tighter will cause damage !!

last your paticular problem sounds like a valve may be hanging up or a bad internal seal ??
i think you should rebuild or replace your box !

Originally Posted by mikeg135
OK, I have been fighting a front end problem for several months. at speeds over 30 mph, when turning the steering wheel. The steering will be slow to respond then it will over compensate. This can be scary at speeds over 60 mph.

I have had the ball joints replaced, replaced the track bar with one from Rock Auto (Thuren's would not fit), replaced the entire drag link, and entire tie rod.

this evening, I layed under the pickup and had someone turn the steering wheel back and forth and noticed that all my joints are tight, but the axle is swaying back and forth. (left to right) could this be the culprit

My first thought was a bad track bar, but it only has a couple of hundred miles on it. is it bad or are there other parts that that can cause this steering over correction?
Old 09-12-2007, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by oldblues
hi
i am going through the stearing on mine now !

1 . get a ssi bracket and an 03 or newer track bar , best money i ever spent !!!!!!!!

2 . the stear box comes off very easily , remove it fix any leaks and adjust the bearing load where the steering shaft from the stearing wheel connecs FIRST ! just remove all slop and back off 1/4in.

3. then adjust the screw on the top alu cover ,after you center the input stearing shaft, by loosining the lock nut and holding the nut and turning it in till it lightly stopes and then backing off 1/2 turn!

this will give excelent controll and firm feel .

any tighter will cause damage !!

last your paticular problem sounds like a valve may be hanging up or a bad internal seal ??
i think you should rebuild or replace your box !

thanks for the suggestion, it did not occur to me that it could be a stuck valve or something similar. if this is the culprit, should I go back to OEM or does someone make a better steering box?