2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Front End Squeaking when turning...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2002, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front End Squeaking when turning...

My '02 2500 (6400mi) started squeaking (softly, but getting louder) from the front when turning - I hear it when turning in parking lots at pretty low speeds - not sure if it's doing it at high speed or not (who could hear?) - any ideas? It definately changes with tire rotation speed - it doesn't seem to change with engine rpm either - I think tomorrow I'm gonna try shutting it off while turning so I can isolate the noise to the wheels / hubs / etc. (and eliminate belts / etc. as a possible source)...<br><br>Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old 12-20-2002, 05:50 AM

Re:Front End Squeaking when turning...

Joe Diesel, I have had the same problem since I bought my truck, as well as alot of other people. Take you a can of wd40 and look under the dash and spray your column especialy around the fire wall. Then go under the hood and do the same thing. That should take care of it for a month or so. This usually fixes my problem.<br><br>Kirmey
Old 12-20-2002, 06:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The first thing I would do is grease the front end, sounds like you have a dry tie rod end or ball joint, had the same problem. Ended up replacing ball joints, axle universals.Your truck may not need ball joints because you don't have that many miles on it. But the tie rod ends may still need grease.
Old 12-20-2002, 06:31 AM

You said that the squeak is relative to the wheels turning ... correct ? <br> Might want to pull the front wheels and check the brakes. We see a few vehicles come into the shop with elusive squeaks and it turns out to be stray springs rubbing etc ...<br><br>PISTOL
Old 12-21-2002, 07:05 PM

Guys,<br><br>My 2000 started doing about the same thing in about June 2002. Had it into the dealer and of course, they could not find anything. I think I will try the steering column theory with the wd40, and see if it helps. I don't think it is coming from the brakes on mine. I have just been putting up with it! It sounds to me like a rubber squeak. Usually, I just turn the radio up and it goes away!! ;D ;D<br><br>Thanks for the idea, I'll give it a try!!<br><br> <br><br>smokinjoe <br>ohio<br>
Old 12-22-2002, 01:18 PM

Thanks all! I'll check the brakes and try some WD40.. **NM**

Thanks! I'll try the brakes and WD40....<br><br>Have a great holiday everyone!
Old 12-22-2002, 02:18 PM

Just make sure that you don't WD-40 the brakes. Might get hard to stop. ;D
Old 12-22-2002, 05:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the brakepads has a tab on the outer edge that starts rubbing on the rotor and squeaking to tell you the pad is wearing out. If the squeak goes away when you put the brakes on, it's probably the wear tab on the brakepad touching the rotor. I had this happen before where the wear tab was bent a bit and squeaked even though there was lots of pad left. I've also heard that a dry u-joint in the front axle will squeak when turning too. Good Luck.
Old 12-23-2002, 11:21 AM

If the sound changes with tire rotation speed, then it's not the column. Make sure the brake pad ears are tight against the caliper. When I was a mechanic we used to use a mallet and tap the ears tight to the caliper. Other places to look are wheel bearings and front universal joints.
Old 12-23-2002, 12:42 PM

With less than 7K on the clock, I would hope that it's not a lack of lube - unless, of course, they overlooked this in building the truck... I'm gonna pull the wheels to rotate the tires anyway - I'll have to check those brakepad tabs when I do.. Thanks again for all of the input guys!<br><br>Joe...
Old 01-12-2011, 10:07 PM

I have the front end squeak as well in parking lots and tight turns. I jacked the front end and turn the wheel and notheing. I had to put new ball joint greas zerks in and put new greas in till old came out. I will see if it still squeaks in the morning. I live in FL and no snow so far. I WD40ed the stearing colum boot at the fire wall from the engin compartment. I need a new rubber boot for the tierod and plan to replace on friday....( Keeping it greased till then) Any help will help.

Thanks to all that helped me fix the fan hub carrier bearing last year.

SGT KP
USMC
Old 01-12-2011, 10:13 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
Guys don't forget WD-40 is a solvent, not a lubricant.

Try Tri-Flow or something similar if your trying for lubrication.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:03 AM

sure will. I got a new rubber boot put on and got a grease needle for the joints that do not have fittings. no squeak. I will remember the Tri lube.