2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

front end dilema

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2003, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
front end dilema

I feel a pop in the steeing wheel and the brake when I apply the brakes or when I pull into my driveway or for that matter any time the front suspension compresses much. I have checked all of the bushings and tierod ends including the track bar everything seems to be fine. I have however tried wiggling the steering shaft and it has a little bit of play in the middle of it latterally. I had someone else wiggle it while I steped on the brake and held the steering wheel. It seems to feel the same as the popping that I get from normal driving. The problem here is I cant see this shaft causing a problem like the one I am experiecing. It does not move or acctuate when the suspension is compressed, so could it still be the problem or should I be looking for something else?<br><br><br>Jason
Old 06-29-2003, 10:48 PM

Re:front end dilema

Im not any help to you but mine started doing the same thing about three days ago.Any dips in the road or speed bumps I get a slight pop in the steering wheel.Also if I apply the brakes hard I get pop in wheel and the brake pedal,anyway I hope you get a reply.<br>Steve
Old 06-30-2003, 12:32 AM

My truck is going to the dealer tomarrow. They are going to have a look at it and give me their opinion. I wil keep you posted.<br><br>Jason
Old 07-01-2003, 09:25 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Check out the steering box. I have been reading posts about worn out boxes lately. The worn area has been the shaft coming out of the bottom to the steering arm. Also check to make sure the box is not loose or welds cracked where it is mounted.<br><br>Chris
Old 07-01-2003, 09:51 PM

I had a similar problem on an older truck i had/ and it was the shaft between the column and box where they slide together. I took a piece of steel a few inches long bent each end up just a little and attahed it to the column with 2 hose clamps above and below where it slides together. this took care of the problem and was not so restrictive that if i had an accident the shaft wouldnt colapse.
Old 07-02-2003, 09:46 AM

Outlaw I have the identical truck with the same problem, and my shaft as well has play I am soon to bring it to the dealer so let me know how your problem goes. BTW mine is more pronounced when turning at low speed and going over bumps.
Old 07-02-2003, 10:06 AM

I have to take mine back to the dealer as they didnot have time to get to on monday I may take it to an independant shop. Mine also pops in low speed turns.<br><br>Jason
Old 07-02-2003, 05:27 PM
js

hey my 3500 did the same thing . priced out a new steering shaft and almost had a coronary . anyway the mechanic said to take a med. sized plastic tie strap cut the end off so it is only 2inches long or so and slide it inside the one half of the shaft . i did two on two sides 90 degrees to each other. problem solved. no safety problems either. did this 8 months ago and so far it's fixed