2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Front end Death Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front end Death Rattle

I have a 99 Reg Cab 4x4 CTD. Since day one I has had a shaking problem in the front end. When I first got the truck is would shake just driving it. So I have put a but load of money into it and now it does it when I hit the brakes.

The new parts include in the past 5,000 Miles Wheels, Tires, Steering Gear box, Dual steering stabalizers, Power steering pump, Hydroboost, Trac Bar with the lukes link, shocks, Power steering pump. That is all I can think of. Every once and a blue moon the ABS and Brake light come on and wont go off. Like I said its just when you hit the brakes it shakes.
I have bought new rotors pads and calipers BUTTTT I can not get the spindle nutt off of the spindle I have tried everything I can, even took it to the extreem and heated it with a torch fast and put a 3/4" drive impact on it. So if there is something else that may be causing this problem, I would shure appreciate it if someone could shed some light on my problem thanks.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:54 PM

That sucks on the spindle nut. I can normally pop mine off by wedging a pry bar in the studs and using a 3/4" breaker bar.

Perhaps just break the nut?
Old 09-11-2007, 07:40 PM

If I do anything crazy it has to be where to I can fix in all in one night I work 7 days a week. I think I will take an air chizzle and split them off. If I put new rotor, calipers and pads and If it still shakes when I hit the brakes I will be out of options I think.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:26 AM

I had to put some penetrating fluid on mine and let it sit to get it to budge. I also coated the threads with antisieze before removing the nut because it seemed to be galled and it helped keep it from destroying too many threads after it broke loose. I think the heat generated from the brakes tend to cause galling.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by cm979
I have a 99 Reg Cab 4x4 CTD. Since day one I has had a shaking problem in the front end. When I first got the truck is would shake just driving it. So I have put a but load of money into it and now it does it when I hit the brakes.
I had a similar problem with my 1995 3500 4WD V10. When I first bought it the dealer installed a dampener on the steering rod like I see on the trucks with big lift kits on them. They told me it's a fix Dodge ordered to stop the rattle. I had the truck for seven years and the dampener wore out before I sold it. It would start rattling if I hit a bump in the road. To stop it I just took my foot off the accelerator and it would tend to stop. Is this still a problem with all Dodge pickups? Has it been fixed in the newer ones?