2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

FASS DDRP 02 Fuel Lift Pump A Good Replacement for Stock Pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 12:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FASS DDRP 02 Fuel Lift Pump A Good Replacement for Stock Pump

I have a bad feeling that my original transfer pump is starting to have problems. I get some weird fuel pressure readings sometimes.

I was looking into the FASS DDRP 02 and was wondering if anybody recommends it or has had good success with these pumps.

I kind of like the idea of having a pump that provides a little more flow than the stock one. I was thinking it might help to make the VP-44 last a while longer.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:43 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I have a FASS. Put it on and never looked back. I have had no problems with it except for when it seemed like the fuel system was loosing prime for a while, after the truck would sit for 2 days, so at DPPS recommendation I did a 250.00 update to the FASS pump, which didn't help. The prime problem was still there, but eventually went away, and I suspect it was actually a problem in the head.
At any rate, the FASS is and has always been fine.
However, I have been hearing, through threads here, that FASS has poor customer service and warranty issues, enough that I wouldn't buy another one, and Airdog is close to the same thing but their customer service is better. I have only had to deal with FASS customer service once, and that was through DieselDan, on this site, but I understand he is no longer associated with DPP/FASS, and I have not heard of anyone else from DPP answering FASS questions out here.

Chris
Old 06-21-2010, 07:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I put a fass DDRP in my truck and have had no problems. My fuel pressure went from 6-8 to 22- 24 at idle. I usually run about 16-18 pulling my tt. The instal was real easy also.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:25 PM

thanks for the information guys.....did you guys install your new fass in the original factory location or did you guys do the relocation kit?

i was just wondering how much difference it really makes in the life of the pump relocating it.....

Thanks
Old 06-22-2010, 06:14 PM

I put mine back in the original position, only been in about a year and no problems yet. Knock on wood.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:11 PM

put it on the frame did mine love it, easy to get to if you need to work on
Old 06-23-2010, 08:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put the DDRP on my truck a couple of mths ago and it has been flawless and super quite. I had to fab up a bracket because I mounted it on the frame rail and if you want to save some $ and have small angle iron laying around I can post up some pics of what I did.

Carters Suck!!!!!!!!!

Trending Topics

Old 06-23-2010, 10:16 PM

I wouldn't put a ddrp on your truck as they are really unreliable. They will have good fuel pressure when first replace but their pressure will drop over time. I would put a fass hpfp 150 on your frame with big fuel lines and don't look back as stated above. If you spend the extra $140, it could save you in the long run..
Old 06-26-2010, 10:40 AM

what kind of experiences did you guys had with your original stock pumps....do they slowly start to die over time or do the original lift pumps die all at once quickly.....

I was just wondering because I've noticed that I'm starting to get lower fuel pressure readings past couple of weeks.....Used to stay around 14 at idle & never drop below 10 driving normally.

Now I'm getting readings around 11 at idle & dropping down as low as 6-8 when you get on the gas......i'm guessing it is starting to reach the end of its useful life....

I'm just thinking that it's a lot better to spend a few hundred dollars now rather than burning up an injection pump......
Old 07-02-2010, 04:12 PM

That's exactly how my original pump started going: It rapidly got worse!
No matter which aftermarket pump you go with: make a decision and do it before you start doing real damage to your Injection pump.

I can't say I'm still a great fan of the FASS pump. Mine has steadily weakened since new. Unfortunately, I bought mine just a few months before they started offering the lifetime warranty.

Good luck! Randy.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:41 PM

correct. the fuel pressure will go down over a period of time, not at one time. If your pressure is 11 at idle, you better do something about it quickly..
Old 07-03-2010, 07:26 PM

I had the same symptoms as you have mstep3 so I replaced the factory LP with a Raptor 100. I like the adjustable pressure regulation feature on it.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:45 PM

thanks for the help. i went ahead and got the FASS DDRP 02. I didn't really have a need for a real expensive high performance lift pump. hopefully it will do its job well and last for several years.

i did realize one reason i wasn't really getting an accurate reading on my fuel pressure though. the needle valve that i have on the fuel line before the sending unit had gotten closed too tight & fuel pressure readings were reading low.

i opened it up a little more and the fuel pressure is actually doing pretty good right now. at least i have the fass now when the lift pump does start to go out....
Old 07-05-2010, 05:05 AM

I don't know about customer service, or warrenty probs yet, and hope i don't need to either, but the pump has been working nicely for me for a year now. I put it back in stock location, but if i have a failure due to vibration on this pump, i will relocate it the next one.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:50 PM

I was really impressed with how much the fuel pressure improved with the FASS pump. I was only getting around 12-13 at idle and now it's at 20psi. It doesn't even drop below 15 when you get on the gas. Hopefully these pumps continue to work this well for several years. I've only had it in for a day now, but it really works nice.

Quick Reply: FASS DDRP 02 Fuel Lift Pump A Good Replacement for Stock Pump