2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Factory tweeter replacement for infinty system

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory tweeter replacement for infinty system

I asked this before and didn't get an answer and I've searched and can't find it. I have a 2001 and want some after market tweeters that will fit behind the factory grills in the "A' pillars for the infinity system. The reason I want ones that will fit behind the factory grills is that I have the "A" pillar three guage mount from genos that leaves no room for a larger tweeter. I read some where were someone found an after market replacement that fit but I can't seem to find it again. I talked to crutchfield and they didn't know the answer so I'm hoping someone out there will know. thanks.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:01 PM

I installed a set of Rokford Fosgate tweeters in mine. I did have to make the hole slightly bigger with a round file. Once I installed these I soon realized that the factory Infinity system is not as good you might think. Well my friend owns a car stereo shop and I got rid of all of the factory speakers and replaced the fronts with 6" Rockford with cross overs to the tweeters, replaced the rears with 5 1/4" DEI and installed a new head unit. This blew away the infinity system! A few weeks later I wanted more, I the installed a DEI 650 watt Amp with a 10" sub woofer installed in a Q-Logic box that is made to fit between ceter console and rear seat of the Qaud cab. It is great setup. If you want in a few days I will post pics
Old 02-23-2005, 11:51 PM

How much did you have to file the opening to get the tweeters to fit? What model of tweeter did you use in the "A" pillar? thanks.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:24 AM

I filed a very small amount, I will have to pull it out when I get home and let you know
Old 02-24-2005, 08:58 PM

I couldnt find a model number on the tweeters but I will see my buddy that owns the stereo shop on friday nite and I will ask him and see if he remembers, It was a few years ago that I did my system
Old 02-24-2005, 09:53 PM

Any chance you could post a picture? thanks.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:32 AM

This is a little more complicated than it'd seem. The Dodge "Infinity" (quite a misnomer, BTW) tweeters are very small compared to aftermarket tweeters, and like KennyL said, are pretty **** poor. Only thing that poses a problem to you though is the fact that they're tiny. You're not going to be able to fit an Alpine or Focal tweeter in there, although you could fit one in one of the gauge pods (and then put that gauge somewhere else in the truck--I'd recommend over the rearview mirror). But if you're more interested in keeping the look the same than sound quality, I'd look at these tweeters at Parts Express:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=267-748

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=267-153

Additionally, you're going to run into some problems with cross-overs, which are circuit boards that block low frequency sounds from getting to the tweeters (which are intended for high frequencies, as I'm sure you know). I believe that ALL the Dodge "Infinity" speakers (meaning the door speakers and the tweeters) have independent speaker-mounted cross-overs. These little Parts Express speakers won't (nor will any others really). So I'm not sure what you'd do about that. Maybe someone else can chime in here.

Bottom line, the Infinity system actually makes upgrading your system harder than if you have the base system. Most of the time, when people want to upgrade a truck with the Infinity system, they just rip all the Infinity stuff out and replace it with aftermarket head unit, speakers, and amps. Best of luck to you though...let me know if you have any other questions.

P.S.-for the record, here's what I did in my truck (which came with a base system):

Old 02-25-2005, 07:30 AM

KennyL: can you tell me where you got the box for the rockford fosgate 10" that you used. What do you think a 12" would look like back there? Think it would take up to much room???
Old 02-25-2005, 02:28 PM

The box was from Q-logic, I loaned my camera out and I wont get it back untill sat night so I will take a pic and post it on sun.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:31 PM

http://www.mainstreet-audio.com/Merc...egory_Code=RAM

Here i found a pic here of the box