2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2003, 02:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical problems

So yea... im getting ready to go to sleep and I have one of those nice pager alarms that tells you when your alarm is going off... well anyway my alarm started going off so I throw some clothes on and head down to see whats up...

my stereo is on... I pull a !!!! and open the passenger door... everything goes off

I pull the radio fuse and turn the radio off

any idea what might make my radio just come on randomly?
Old 09-07-2003, 05:50 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Re:Electrical problems

Thats a little strange. Have you replaced the OEM radio? If not, I would expect you have problems at the ignition, most probably the ACC circuit. If you have replaced it, assuming you ran a seperate power source, I guess it would have to be in the radio itself.
Ed
Old 09-07-2003, 06:58 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts

I agree with sherod. If the ACC circuit is the problem it does puzzle me a little why that would set off the alarm. You could also try removing the negative terminals from the batteries and then do a test to see if the current drain is higher than it should be with everything off. Then with the amp meter (or VOM) still connected try wriggling the ignition switch and see if anything changes. Or also try leaving it in the OFF position and giving the steering wheel a few good thumps and see if that momentaraly changes the reading.
Let us know the fix.
Old 09-07-2003, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote author=FastSS link=board=5;threadid=19332;start=0#msg181557 date=1062919493]
So yea... im getting ready to go to sleep and I have one of those nice pager alarms that tells you when your alarm is going off... well anyway my alarm started going off so I throw some clothes on and head down to see whats up...

my stereo is on... I pull a !!!! and open the passenger door... everything goes off

I pull the radio fuse and turn the radio off

any idea what might make my radio just come on randomly?
[/quote]

No answers or theorys, but a question.

What brand/model of alarm do you have.
Have you been happy with it (well, till now )
Has it stopped a would be thief, or alerted you in time to stop the thief.

I'm thinking of getting an alarm, and I really liked the one I had many years ago that paged me when someone was breaking in.
No other external sign that it was going off, so I could completely surprise the would be thief.

thanx

Phox
Old 09-07-2003, 04:03 PM

How has she been starting? Have you checked battery voltage after she sets awhile? Just a thought, never know what to look for...
Old 09-07-2003, 11:30 PM

Not sure as to why your stereo was turned on however as to the reason you alarm went off..it could be several things. It could have been that the sounds from your speakers set off your glass tampering sensor (a cell phone ringing sets off mine if it's left in the car) or most alarms also sense for a voltage drop caused by someone say draining your battery with a drill bit? Once the alarm senses a voltage drop it goes off...hence your radio turning on could be considered a voltage drop.

Just a couple possible explanations...get a wiring diagram and see if anything related to the dome light circuit is related to anything stereo wise? Is this a factory deck or an aftermarket deck? Ignition switch is still a possibilty. I am assuming at this point it may be an aftermarket deck...if so how long ago was it installed? I have seen some bizzare problems over the years because of improperly wired aftermarket stereo's (including one that when you turned on the park lights the lights would flash to the beat and stereo would sound weak!)
Old 09-08-2003, 01:47 AM

I know what was setting the alarm off (the 10" MTX sub under the back seat) I just dont know why the stereo came back on in the first place

Ill get the alarm type later, its a viper and I love it. Remote start and everything, great unit and the remote tells you when the alarm is going off (assuming you are in range)

Im thinking there is some sort of short in the wiring for the remote start that is getting power to the radio...