2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

electrical guru's look here !! No Headlights!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question electrical guru's look here !! No Headlights!!!

Ok so the truck in my sig is a Canadian truck with daytime running lights (dtrl)

Problem is when I turn on my headlights they don't turn on and the dtrl's stay on.
When I pull the highbeams on all the headlights come on, but when I release my leaver they go back to dtrl.
Fog lights won't come on either even though the little green light comes on.
Park lights work perfect.

The truck seems to be behaving like the headlight switch is in the off or park light position when the lights should be on. It seems like this could be causing the fogs to be inoperative and the high beam switch to just turn on all the lights when I pull steady on the switch.

Bulbs are ok
fuses and relays are ok. (switched with known good relays)

Is there a low beam relay on the truck or is it part of the dtrl module?
There are no heavy wires out of the switch so I assume that the lights are all relayed.

I know it's a long post but I want to be as thorough as possible.
Thanks for any input you may have
The truck is new to me so I want to work out all the bugs.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:54 PM

I found a broken wire at the headlight switch, which I soldered up and its been fine for the last 2yrs. You might check there to start, just pull the two 1/2 shells that cover the steering column right behind the steering wheel you dont need to remove the steering wheel. to see the switch or even replace the switch
Old 07-29-2009, 12:21 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another member in the Alberta group just went through the same thing and it was a broken wire in the column as Nickg stated.

Pull the plug on the drl controller just to see if that changes anything. Its on the drivers fender just under the brake booster, square box..
Old 07-29-2009, 01:08 AM

My truck recently started doing the same thing. I'll be looking into it later on today after I wake up. I'll let you know what I find (hopefully something simple!)

I have read that the wire that feeds the low beam lights has a problem of coming out of wherever it is due to the tilt steering being moved all the time..
Old 07-30-2009, 11:09 PM

I have a similar problem, but my low beams do not come on at all, they just remain in the dtrl mode. My high beams work fine, so I made the mistake of buying a dtrl module, only to find out that was not the problem. But reading the previous posts, I will be checking out for a possible broken wire before considering a new multi switch.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:55 AM

I checked my wiring and nothing seemed out of the ordinary along the steering column, or at the switch. However on the drive home tonight from work, I noticed it might be my switch. I was running low beam, turned to high for a bit then had to switch to low again. They shut off for a split second (went to DTRL) then went back to Low beam. Once the oncoming traffic went by, I turned back to highs for a bit. I switched back to lows for the heck of it and wouldn't you know, back to DTRL. So I switched to high's then lows quickly, and kinda aggressive...and the lows stayed on.

My switch does feel kinda lazy, not the crisp "snap" feel like it should. I will probably tear into the switch this weekend and see what I can find.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My headlights did the mystery thing last year. When I would switch to high, I would loose all lights until I jiggled the switch handle a bit and they would work again. I sprayed a little silicon spray to the switch via a little red plastic tube that comes with these aerosol cans and it is working fine now. I know it is a temporary fix and that a new switch is probably in my future.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:44 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I know it is a temporary fix and that a new switch is probably in my future.
No, it could be a permanent fix.
The open design of the MF switch allows gunk to build up and cause a poor connection.
I use electronic cleaner rather than silicone spray and my last no low experience was well over 100k miles ago.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hummmm infidel, I have electronic cleaner. Good idea, I'll try that next time.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:35 PM

update!
I had a broken wire at the switch plug and now after a small repair the high beams will stay on but still no low beams...

If I unplug the drl I end up with low beams when the switch is in high beam mode. If I switch to low beam the headlights go off.

I am currently running the drl unplugged and the switch on the high beam so that I get low beams all the time.

If you're still with me here, I'm going to try a drl from my 91 and the switch too if it fits (looks the same at a glance). I also will try the contact cleaner that I have first to see if that can fix this issue.

Thanks for all who weigh in again
Old 07-31-2009, 07:54 PM

Double check the wires its still possible there is another broken one, run your thumbnail against the plastic and you might feel a wire broken under the plastic, barring that and using the contact spray...its possible that you have 2 burned out low beam, it does not happen often but I've seen it happen before!