2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

E Brake Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E Brake Adjustment

Hey,

By chance how do you adjust the E-Brake for my truck. 4 wheel disc brakes... Yea I know it's got a second set of shoes for the E-Brake but it's not holding good any more...

So how is it done?
Old 02-17-2005, 10:04 PM
Banned

from what I was told you just hold the e-brake release and pump the brake 20+ times. I was under the impression it was self adjusting but someone please let me know if I am wrong.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was also wondering about the pedal itself. When you push the pedal for the e-brake, does your whole pedal stay down? or does it go down and engage, then come back up? On other vehicles, you push the pedal down, and the whole thing stays down until you release it?
Old 02-18-2005, 08:44 AM

Originally posted by MasseyMan1089
I was also wondering about the pedal itself. When you push the pedal for the e-brake, does your whole pedal stay down? or does it go down and engage, then come back up? On other vehicles, you push the pedal down, and the whole thing stays down until you release it?
On my Mom's 1996 Dodge RAM the pedal will go down it engage but returns up after.

On my 2002 CTD Dodge the pedal goes down and stays down until released.

Still wondering about adjustments... It don't hold at all backwards now it will roll... But forewards its kinda getting spooky if it going to roll...

Please help...
Old 02-18-2005, 09:17 AM

There is a small rubber plug in the backing plate. Remove this with a screwdriver. Behind the plug a little silver star wheel (the adjustment screw). You will need a small flat screwdriver to turn this a few clicks at a time until they're nice and tight. Mine were WAAAAY off.
While you're in there, pull off the rear calipers and check your pads. One of mine disintegrated when I removed it... only 50k on the truck. Heard reports from other owners who had the same problem.
Good Luck!
-Dave
Old 03-17-2005, 08:02 AM

I finally dove in to the rear axle!

It really easy to readjust the parking brake. Just make sure you turn the star wheel outward. This will tight the shoes. If you turn inward (towards the axle) it will loosen the shoes.

I wonder how I knew that...
Old 03-18-2005, 02:36 PM

My pedal needs some adjustment or something because when you release the emergency brake, it comes up, but not all the way up enough to turn off the BRAKE light, so I have to pull the pedal back the last little bit with my left foot.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:06 AM

AggiePhil

I would check all the cables running back to the rear axle to make sure they are not binding first. The return springs are suppose to bring the pedal back up so either the return springs are starting to fail or the cables are starting to bind.

But if you need to adjust the cable slack there is a balance bar it the length of the cable with a nut on the end of it. Tight the nut a little at a time until the slack is gone. This a last resort...
Old 03-19-2005, 10:39 AM
Banned

Mopar1973man, mine's been doing the same thing since I drove it off the lot. My cable does have a good bit of slack in it. Thanks for the tip on adjusting it.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:29 AM

I guess that's what DIESELTRUCKRESOURCE.COM is all about!

No problem BigBlue...Glad I help others here too!
Old 03-19-2005, 01:46 PM

Yeah, I don't think there's any binding or anything. The spring just doesn't bring the pedal back up all the way. Should I try adjusting it?
Old 03-19-2005, 02:32 PM

How about on an 03 (AAM axle) ? My pass side e brake is weak.
Old 03-19-2005, 07:55 PM

How about on an 03 (AAM axle) ? My pass side e brake is weak.
I would adjust the pass. side brake in the axle first before adjusting the cable... The cable will tighten both to a limit and that it. The levers in the axle will only go so far until you bottom out the levers.

Yeah, I don't think there's any binding or anything. The spring just doesn't bring the pedal back up all the way. Should I try adjusting it?
I would try it... Adjust the cable so there is no cables hanging loose... But check and make sure it works properly afterwards... This is you Emergency Brake! You want it to be there if your service brakes fail...
Old 03-19-2005, 08:16 PM

I don't see how to adjust the brake on my axle.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:27 PM

There should be a rubber plug in the back of the brake hub. Just like the older drum brake adjuster. It kinda hidden with all the disc brake stuff. But it is a rubber plug one is on the top of the axle on one side and the other is on the bottom. Look close to the axle tube...

Now you want to rotate the star wheel towards the outside of the axle. (Or at least that is how I did it)

I hope this helps...

Quick Reply: E Brake Adjustment