2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Drives Like A Snake

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drives Like A Snake

Putnew Tires On 10 Months Ago, Truck Drove Real Swervy, Dealer Said Let Them Break In, Got Alittle Better, Rotated & It Started Over, Dealer Put On New Tires, Does Same Thing, Took To Front End Shop Lined It Up, Said Everything Was Good, But Still Is Very Swervy, Anyone Else Had This Problem
It Is Scarey When I Pull My Tt
Old 08-03-2007, 09:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
track bars wear out often. have someone turn the wheel side to side while you watch the upper track bar mount (the ball joint may be really sloppy). get a 3rd gen upgrade kit. tie rods may be worn. ball joints may be worn.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:14 AM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Did you go up in tire size? Did you get D rated or E rated tires? E's for sure ride a lot stiffer and don't have the sidewall flex of the D's. Now if you got D's AND went up in tire size, I bet you are really swervin! Got to make sure to get tires rated for the truck. If there is any doubt, look inside the driver's door jamb. There is a sticker with recommended tire size and pressures there.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by OKIE99
Putnew Tires On 10 Months Ago, Truck Drove Real Swervy, Dealer Said Let Them Break In, Got Alittle Better, Rotated & It Started Over, Dealer Put On New Tires, Does Same Thing, Took To Front End Shop Lined It Up, Said Everything Was Good, But Still Is Very Swervy, Anyone Else Had This Problem
I have the same problem when i pull a heavy trailer (15K) it has been so bad at times i had to reposition the load to take weight off the truck.

you didnt say but, i think mine is a short wheel base problem, my friend has an identical truck but has a longbed and has no "swervy" issues

i have been thru all the tire sizes and load ratings and it is still the same

i have been considering a dually conversion.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by OKIE99
On a side note, you don't have to capitalize every word...thanks...
Old 08-03-2007, 01:02 PM

i have e load rated tires, have had truck for 5 years, pulled my trailer all over the country, did not do this in the past
Old 08-03-2007, 01:50 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, then it is either this brand of tires or there is something seriously wrong with the truck! You said it had all been checked over so it has to be the tires then. I would see if you can buy another set and try to sell yours.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:27 AM

The steering stabalizer shock makes quite a difference in the handling if it is worn as well. Take it off and see that it is still fairly stiff going in and out, and look for the telltale oil stain on the tube. Saw a woman just about kill her husband for critisizing her lousy steering skills when all it really turned out to be was the shock had gone weak.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:56 AM

Has the steering components ever been replaced??

A few things come to mind and a few that were mentioned.

Track bar. By far the most common cause of a floating front end.

Steering box worn.

Tie rod ends.

Ball joints.

Wheel bearings/ hubs.

And when was the last time the alignment was checked? Incorrect caster can mess with the steering as well. Also, worn control arm bushings will allow the axle to walk from one side to the other.

If the tires are 10 months old and are wearing well, I suspect something in the steering. What is the tire size and on what size rim? What is the inflation pressure?

Dave
Old 11-25-2007, 08:27 AM

fixed

the lower balljoints were bad, they were not loose up & down, they were kicking out, drives good now