2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Drivers wiper no pressure with wind

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 06:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drivers wiper no pressure with wind

This is my 3rd Dodge and I still have problems with my left (driver) side windshield wiper. When I'm driving at fast speed or if there's a heavy side-wind it lifts up slightly and doesn't clean at all, sometimes it has been dangerous since I couldn't see anything in critical situations.

Anyway I tried to bend arm more or less upward or downward but I have same result.

They used to sell a small little wing to attach to arm that would help this but I can't find them any more (they were out in the '70s and '80s)

Also, will the front bug deflector (the clear deflector on front grille) help with this issue ?
Old 03-16-2007, 08:03 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
I had a bug deflector (once).
It created so much turbulance at highway speeds, the squirters would actually spray FORWARD instead of on the windshield and the wipers would flutter on the windshield.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:07 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
My '95s came stock with the wiper "wing", work excellent.
Perhaps a junkyard
Old 03-16-2007, 08:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try a 22" blade instead of a 24". I had a similar problem, though it was just a spot the size of my hand that wouldnt clean. Problems are all gone now!!!
Old 03-17-2007, 01:21 AM

I find the wipers on mine work excellent for the size of windshield......I do keep the blades new....but then again...I am getting old and starting to lose my sight lol.....
Old 03-17-2007, 07:49 PM

I have the same problem with my Lambo when I hit about 150 to 160. Never really worried about it since I don't drive it in the rain.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:32 AM
Urban Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the same problem a few weeks ago, it turned out that the wiper arm was slightly bent. This most likely happened when changing the blades. Try looking at the wiper to see if the arm is touching the head of the wiper. If so just bend the arm up and away.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:57 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had that with a old Volvo. I tried everything under the sun, nothing worked. I sold the car, although it had a few other issues too.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:46 PM

I bought some cheap (<$10) assist springs that help put more down pressure on the wiper. They seem to work, and give the old worn spring a little extra help.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Valv
This is my 3rd Dodge and I still have problems with my left (driver) side windshield wiper. When I'm driving at fast speed or if there's a heavy side-wind it lifts up slightly and doesn't clean at all, sometimes it has been dangerous since I couldn't see anything in critical situations.

Anyway I tried to bend arm more or less upward or downward but I have same result.

They used to sell a small little wing to attach to arm that would help this but I can't find them any more (they were out in the '70s and '80s)

Also, will the front bug deflector (the clear deflector on front grille) help with this issue ?
My bug deflector causes turbulence over 55 and it is almost impossible to use the washers so I feel pretty sure it is affecting the wipers as well since at highway speeds, they go well past the post when they regularly stay an inch or so away. Never been impressed with the winter performand of my 99 or 01 Ram wipers. Also, I've had problems in the past were the spring that forces the blade to keep on the windshield just wasn't doing the job. Wasn't the spring itself, but the dryness of the flex points of the arm. Rain, windshield washer fluid, car washes, road salt can all make the arms a bit stiff. I also prefer the summer blades because there is less surface area for the wind to hit than the winter blades with the covering. That being said, they do ice up quicker in the winter.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:29 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
When I first purchased my 95, I assume it had the original wiper asembly, not the rubber blade, but the series of metal arches that support the rubber blade.
The metal was relatively thin in design and worked as one would expect.
However, I moved out to the midwest where I was introduced to vehicle inspections and the dealer flagged those old, original style blade assemblies as needing to be replaced.
they put on new wiper assemblies that were much thicker in design. Since doing so, at speeds above ~55mph, the drivers blade lifts off the glass right in the middle of the windshield.
I assume this is being caused by the increased wind friction on the thicker wiper assembly as it never did this with the thinner, metal assembly prior.
I have been on the search for the thinner wiper assembly, but to no avail.

Rich.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:38 AM

Valv,
Give these a look. Have them on all of my vehicles with winter blades. Only lift when you get a 40-50mph gusts at highway speeds.

www.surewipe.com

MM
Old 03-19-2007, 03:07 PM

Moparmax, thanks for the link, for $ 13 shipped I'd give it a try.

I'll post the results.

PS I didn't see Lambo(rghini) in the chart, but you shouldn't need it since any guy with a CTD can stay in front of you and shield you from rain
Old 03-20-2007, 08:08 PM

"PS I didn't see Lambo(rghini) in the chart, but you shouldn't need it since any guy with a CTD can stay in front of you and shield you from rain "

Hey, thats why I drive the CTD so much!!
Old 04-01-2007, 01:01 PM

Little recap on this issue, I bought the surewipe.com springs and they work awesome.

I actually used just 1, keep the other as spare, I can drive on interstate at 75mph with heavy crosswind and it never lifted up at all.

I am really impressed, I'll check wiper blade longevity, but I replace them at least once a year, so I have no problem.