2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Driver's door lock switch not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driver's door lock switch not working

Got my truck back from the tint shop last week and now the driver's door power lock switch isn't working....shop is closed for tonight, so I was going to investigate it on my own. Any chance they knocked a wiring harness loose? The passenger door switch works just fine

So I guess my ultimate question is how best to take the door panel off. I tried a little earlier and didn't have much luck, so any advice would be helpful. Thanks!
Old 07-17-2007, 12:49 AM

Funny! Same thing is happening to mine, except its my pass. door that's not staying locked. I'll tear into it this week and see what i can find.
Cheers!
Old 07-17-2007, 06:22 AM

Had the same issue when I bought my truck on the passenger side. I took the door lock switch out and took it apart, all looked good and in place. The only thing I noticed is that the contacts were'nt quite making full contact when the switch lever was pushed in the lock postion, so I adjusted them a little and waalaa......it works like new now.

The only caution I can provide for those that have never taken one of these switches apart, Dodge really made a headache out of "all those little parts" that have to snap together "just right" in order to perform the way it should so...........with that in mind, HAVE PATIENCE when doing this
Old 07-29-2007, 07:59 PM

BE CAREFUL!! My door lock toggle pushed through so it was inside the door. I took off the door panel and unclipped ALL the connectors so I could take the door panel and put it on my work bench.......now my window witch is very intermittent! I took it on and off many times, nothing obvious. I finally squeezed the connection together and it worked. put it back together...you got it!, intermittent! It appears that once you separate the switch from the connector, it is iffy! I even tried squeezing them together then putting some duck tape around it, still intermittent!

Next step is to use a clamp and JB Weld the **** thing together!
Old 07-29-2007, 08:30 PM
Banned

moisture is the enemy here just take the switch off clean it the best you can and hit it with some elec. contact cleaner, good as new.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the same problem but with both doors. I jam the switch back a forth a few times and the locks will start working. I did this the other day and the switch motor just kept running and running, weird.

I added it to my "to do" list as the truck is coming in the garage soon for some major work.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:51 PM

If the '99 door panel is the same as my '96; To remove the door panel, you just remove the two screw in the door grab handle, the screw by the mirror adjustment ****, and pop the door off with a pry bar. (Plan on going down to NAPA and buying a bunch of plastic clips to replace the ones you break while prying the panel off. There are about 14 of 'em). Unplug the various electrical connectors (Door lock, windows, & mirror adjustors) and the panel is off.
I just removed my door panel this weekend and sprayed the heck out of my door locking mechanism with contact cleaner, and then hit it with WD40, and it works to some degree now. I think I have to tear it apart again a do a disassembly of the mechanism because the electrical lock is still intermittant in working. That worries me because I can see me making it worse by tearing it apart! So I may just leave it alone. At least it locks and unlocks with a key now every time, which is better than what it did before.