2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Diesel vs Gas

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wcbcruzer
Not sure about the 3/4-ton+ but most gas trucks get better than that these days.
I know a few people with hemi's that are hard pressed to break out of 15mpg highway. My buddy with the 4.8 in a half ton chevy gets 16 on the highway. Another friend with a 3/4 ton Ford and whatever motor comes standard (6.0,5.4, or something. Nor sure?) gets 17 highway 13 city.

My truck gets abused pretty well but averages 16 city and about 19-20 highway. Towing 10k pounds I got 14 on the thruway holding it at about 72.

I'm sure some of the other brands get better mileage (like I know the new Tundra's do...), but I wouldn't expect any Dodge gas motor to get good mileage in a truck.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:41 PM

Def. Diesel...this is why

I have an 02 gas rig that i bought new and really worked good for me other than I couldnt get more than 300 miles per tank out of the gas motor NOW

I cant give the 02 away everyone says GAS no way it is immacualate but ill take a beating to get rid of it so ill just keep it

NOW I bought an 01 with cummins and I get over 500 miles per tank the truck had 69,000 miles when i bought it and I paid 19,000 for it I guarantee you the resell is 5,000 more because of the diesel just my opinion tho
Old 12-06-2007, 10:24 PM

My dad's hemi is impressive in the power department but its a reg cab 2wd. It gets decent mileage, 15-18mpg. To me the hemi is a high rpm runner. Its not great for towing IMO. But for the occasional tower, especially only 3k lbs, it will get the job done. And if you plan on keeping it for a while I believe the 08 models have the lifetime powertrain warranty.

I don't think the 3/4 ton hemis have the DOD but as a few others have said I have rarely got 18-20mpg out of the 3 Cummins I've had (12v,24v,CR). I bet you could trade your truck straight across for a similar hemi.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:11 AM

Turboost just make a good point. The 08's have lifetime warranties on most every engine, except diesels and SRT vehicles. Even thought the Cummins will outlive everything on the dealer's lot, they don't offer the lifetime warranty.

If you are not interested in making changes to your powertrain later, the lifetime warranty might be a great benefit to you.

Something to consider if you are really going to keep a vehicle for 20 or 30 years!

Ronnie
Old 12-07-2007, 02:00 PM

During the winter, I'm only getting 14-15mpg with my ctd with extended idleing to warm it up in the morning and everything. During the summer I may get around 18mpg in mixed driving. I'm sure it'll go up some once I do a module and some injectors. My biggest problem is I only have a 5 min. drive to work every morning, and my cummins just barely gets hot enough for the thermostat to open till I get there, sometimes it doesn't. Theres many times here lately I've thought of trading it in on a gasser. I just miss being able to jump in my truck and go. I know those short drives aren't good for the old girl. But then I actually get in my truck and drive it, and I remember why I got one
I'd say if most of your driving is commuting everyday, given the price of fuel lately, go with a gasser. If you do, the newer chevy's seem to get the best mileage out of the big 3 and they're reliable.
If you do go with a 6.7, don't expect the same mileage guys are getting with the 5.9's. I work with a guy that just bought one with the manual tranny, and he's only getting 14. However, that should get better once the thing breaks in, but thats gonna take a while. Alot of people forget that the new 6.7's are bigger than the 5.9's, so between that and all the emissions stuff on them, your never gonna get the same fuel mileage.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:19 PM

One thing to add I guess is. I work 2 miles from home ,but drive ALOT on the weekend hunting & fishing. My nearest spot for either is about 160 miles round trip. My 20,000 plus miles are mostly hwy driving .
This is one of the hardest decisions I've ever thought out in buying a truck.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by afoulk
During the winter, I'm only getting 14-15mpg with my ctd with extended idleing to warm it up in the morning and everything. During the summer I may get around 18mpg in mixed driving. I'm sure it'll go up some once I do a module and some injectors. My biggest problem is I only have a 5 min. drive to work every morning, and my cummins just barely gets hot enough for the thermostat to open till I get there, sometimes it doesn't. Theres many times here lately I've thought of trading it in on a gasser. I just miss being able to jump in my truck and go. I know those short drives aren't good for the old girl. But then I actually get in my truck and drive it, and I remember why I got one
I'd say if most of your driving is commuting everyday, given the price of fuel lately, go with a gasser. If you do, the newer chevy's seem to get the best mileage out of the big 3 and they're reliable.
If you do go with a 6.7, don't expect the same mileage guys are getting with the 5.9's. I work with a guy that just bought one with the manual tranny, and he's only getting 14. However, that should get better once the thing breaks in, but thats gonna take a while. Alot of people forget that the new 6.7's are bigger than the 5.9's, so between that and all the emissions stuff on them, your never gonna get the same fuel mileage.
Best thing you can do in that situation is deliberately take a longer different path to work to make sure the engine at least gets a chance to run for a bit.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:07 PM

Usually I do, but sometimes I have a hard time getting my lazy butt outta bed early enough to do that
Old 12-07-2007, 07:09 PM

It is a tough decision. But once you get in the diesel you'll realize it's actually a very easy decision.

Now, like mentioned earlier, the gas is much better for get up and go in the mornings, especially when cold. But I guess you'll have to live with it. Frankly, if the diesel truck was going to be the ONLY vehicle in our family, I'd think twice. A lot of times I take the Honda Accord because it's just much easier (and saves fuel).
Old 12-13-2007, 12:18 AM

I can't even believe you're pondering the question. Diesels are the future, all of us here are one step ahead from everyone else.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:12 AM

i will only go back to gas to keep from walking
Old 12-13-2007, 02:59 PM

Hey David, had no idea you were on here, let me ask my son about his two buddies, youv'e met one of them on the lease, they both bought the new 6.7's or if you want I can get their numbers and you can talk to them yourself, last time I asked JP, he said they liked the trucks.

I'd stick with the diesel, IMHO, for the long run anyway.