2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Diesel vs Gas

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 07:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel vs Gas

I need a little help guys. I know this is a diesel site so be objective please. Getting ready to get a MegaCab. Got to have more room for the kids. Leaning towards a 6.7 ,but have thoughts of a hemi. Fuel cost & long term repair bills on the diesel have me wondering. I drive 20,000 miles a year ,pull 2500 or so trailer just about every weekend in hunting season. Plan on keeping the truck for a long time. Any help or opinions would be GREATLY Appreciated. Looking at a 2500 4X4 just like the truck in my sig,just a mega.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:54 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
IMO, I belive you answered your own question...."keeping the truck" for a long time. Results show that over the long term diesel is the way to go on a cost/benefit analysis, however I understand the fuel bill makes one consider differently. Just curious what's the diff in the MPG, Hemi vs. CTD?
Old 12-06-2007, 08:20 AM

The guys over at DTW say the megacab Hemi trucks are only getting 10 to 12 mpg.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On a choice between Cummins/Hemi, I would go Cummins but I've been thinking about going back to a gas Silverado because my '01 got 20-21mpg's and no repairs in 111,000 miles.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:40 AM

Dont get a gas. Not only will you get worse fuel mileage one of these days when you decide to sell it, it wont be worth near as much as the diesel. The extra you pay for the diesel option you'll make back if you resell it in a few years.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:37 AM

Ever since the day I bought my CTD almost a year ago I have always wondered why I EVER owned a gas truck. I see all these people around here driving Hemi Mega Cabs and wonder why. I talked to a guy while fueling one day that got 14 mpg in his CTD Mega Cab. Why would you buy a gasser that might get 10 to 12 mpg, when you can get a truck with a real engine. lol. Just thought I'd share. Hope to get the Wife a Mega Cab after I go do some contracting.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:05 AM

I will commit blasphomy here - but read on anyway....

I spoke with a guy last weekend that drives a brand new Mega Cab dually with the 6.7 and he was super ****** because his truck was getting 7 -8 mpg around town due to the new particulate filter stuff. On the highway I am sure it would be better- but I have read some stuff on this board and TDR that mpg with the new 6.7 has been less than good.

My Dad bought a brand new 1500 quad cab 4x4 with the Hemi last spring and it has the DOD system that really seems to work. On the highway at 72 mph it does over 20 mpg - and if he slowed down to 62 it did 22.5 mpg! The problem is that on his daily commute he takes back roads and it has average 13.6 mpg because that DOD system doesn't work until you are at highway speeds for some reason. If you drive a lot of highway I think a Hemi is a good alternative with the system - but I have no idea if that is even available in the HD trucks?

Diesel fuel is $.75 more than unleaded around here right now so I getting less sure that diesel is the way to go. I love my Cummins - but how many miles would it take you to recoup your initial investment with fuel costs what they are right now and the fact that the 6.7s are not getting the mileage that the older CTD's did?

I bought my 97 in April and have put 9000 miles on it so far. After talking to other CTD owners and reading a lot online I fully expected the truck to get 18+ mpg with 20+ on the highway but that just has not been the case. Normal driving to and from work in the warm weather it averaged 15-16 mpg. The best I got so far was 17.8 mpg. Not bad for a 7000 pound rig - but not 20+ mpg that you read about on here. This past weekend I did a gear swap to 3.54's but this was expensive (even doing it on on the cheap for $700ish) and it will take me 16,000 miles to recoup my cost if I get 3 more mpg out of it.

Anyway - good luck with your decision.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:17 AM

This may not win me any popularity either, but I would offer you a different thought altogether. Since you're already owning an '06 Cummins quad cab now, why not take around $6000 - $8000 and buy an '01 - '03 minivan for when you need the space, since they have lots of space, and keep your current truck for the rest of your driving needs. It could wind up lowering your insurance preminums if it's listed as your primary veichle, and it's not all that much more for upkeep. Plus 23 - 25 mpg on the highway and what you would loose in depreciation on selling your '06 alone would pay for the minivan. It's not cool...but who honeslty cares anyway?
Old 12-06-2007, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by 96_12V
This may not win me any popularity either, but I would offer you a different thought altogether. Since you're already owning an '06 Cummins quad cab now, why not take around $6000 - $8000 and buy an '01 - '03 minivan for when you need the space, since they have lots of space, and keep your current truck for the rest of your driving needs. It could wind up lowering your insurance preminums if it's listed as your primary veichle, and it's not all that much more for upkeep. Plus 23 - 25 mpg on the highway and what you would loose in depreciation on selling your '06 alone would pay for the minivan. It's not cool...but who honeslty cares anyway?
Thanks, but a mini van would have a hard time pulling a trailer & getting around some of the roads where I hunt & have to drive the truck. My whole family hunts together ,so we need the bigger cab.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by DUKFVR
Thanks, but a mini van would have a hard time pulling a trailer & getting around some of the roads where I hunt & have to drive the truck. My whole family hunts together ,so we need the bigger cab.
Yep - that makes sense...good luck with the search. Wish Dodge made a Suburban-type veichle with a CTD in it...
Old 12-06-2007, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by 96_12V
Yep - that makes sense...good luck with the search. Wish Dodge made a Suburban-type veichle with a CTD in it...
Man, I've been saying that for years! I've been oh so close to just buying a nice older sub and doing a 12v swap. The wife even has given the approval, but it will have to wait till Im done with school and back to working.

I just got my 2006 a month ago and am glad I went with the diesel again. I did drive a 1500 Mega Hemi and was impressed that the Hemi moved the truck pretty good. If you aren't towing or hauling and just want a truck/people hauler it would be great. I really kind of was leaning towards getting one since I could of had a brand new 2007 1500 Mega, but I got lucky enough to stumble on the 2006 (its impossible to find used diesels up here). Im happy with my choice and still glad to have the diesel even though I haven't been hauling/towing for a while since Im back in school. Once Im out of school its back to my old habits and Im sure the truck will be used again.

Go with what you like. Test drive everything!! What ever gives you the biggest grin (buy it). This also includes getting back in your truck and driving it home! (it may give the biggest grin factor).

Well, thats my .02. Have a good one.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:07 PM

If you don't need really need a truck but want a large vehicle that you daily drive, a 1/2-ton gas truck is the way to go.

If you must have a 3/4-ton or larger fuel mileage will suffer either way. Diesel may be a little better fuel wise but gas technology has come a long way and is showing good numbers. Nowadays, however, you have to take into account the higher cost of diesel at the pump. So say you do 20,000 miles per year at an average of 16 mpg in a diesel and 14 mpg in a gasser. That's:

1250 gallons of diesel = $4063 per year in fuel cost. ($3.25/gallon)
1429 gallons of unleaded = $4287 per year in fuel cost. ($3/gallon)

The above figures are IF you actually get 2 mpg better in a diesel. Not sure if that's the case. I guess in the end it's about the same in fuel. Maintenance is a bit higher in diesel I'd say.

For towing... Diesel all the way. Gassers will drain fuel and won't have the low-end torque on the hills.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:16 PM

I owned a ’94 1500 Ram for 8 years, went to cars for commuting for 3 years, then a Nissan Titan for 1.5 years, and now I have an ’06 Mega 3500 (so I can’t speak on 6.7l engine). I did not know what I was missing until I got the diesel. You actually get great gas mileage. I average 20-21 highway an 15-16 city. The reason I chose a diesel is to tow a 10,000lb 5th wheel. I had a Nissan Titan for 1.5 years and towed a small flatbed trailer with a quad and dirt bike. I got 10mpg when towing that trailer. Now I get 11-12mpg towing a 10,000lb trailer. Also if you look at maintenance, the owner’s manual on the Dodge diesel says if you are not a heavy tower (use it for heavy duty work) you only have to change your oil every 15,000 miles. There is a lot of theory about mileage and oil changes out there. I personally change the oil every 7-10k. The oil changes are more expensive, but less frequent to it averages out. As mentioned previously in other posts, the diesels are known to last longer and seem to be more reliable.

In summary – my suggestion, if towing is a consideration, get the diesel, if not you will probably be happy with either.

FYI – if you are also looking to modify the engine later down the road, check out the performance forums – you also might want to consider cost to horsepower ratios for modifications in your decision also.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:18 PM

Something to consider is a lot of the 6.7 engines with poor mileage are barely even broke in. Add in a few ECM reflashes and I'm willing to bet the mileage of those starts to come up considerably. An option other than a minivan is a used suburban, or even an excursion. The depreciation on your truck + the depreciation of a new truck will undoubtedly be more than you spend on the second vehicle. Not only will they have more room but either will be more than capable of towing 2500 lbs.

Personally, I can't justify 20k miles at 10-12 mpg and much worse when in tow. Even if diesel costs more in the long run something just does NOT sit right with me driving a vehicle that gets mileage that is that poor.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by xtoyz17
Personally, I can't justify 20k miles at 10-12 mpg...
Not sure about the 3/4-ton+ but most gas trucks get better than that these days.

Quick Reply: Diesel vs Gas