2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

didn't realize the importance of a healthy track bar!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
didn't realize the importance of a healthy track bar!

i have had a truck that i thought was just aging. running through pot holes hurt, sometimes i would even loose slight control running through a bigger and had to put both hands on the wheel....the truck vibrated during braking during certain conditions and rattled when driving over anything but a nice newly paved highway....i always noticed that i could move my track bar end (ball joint end) a lil bit up and down...maybe an 1/5 of a inch...i never thought this to be a big deal

well i decided to put the luke's link on it and my truck feels like i replaced the entire front end! what a solid feeling....just thought id share my story...i never thought a track bar could coumpletely destabilize a truck and had so much importance!
Old 05-22-2007, 04:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmm. My stering wheel is off center, and as I drive along an the road slope changes, sometimes I have to correct and the wheel would then point straight. I am wondering if my axle is "walking" sideways. I need to look at mine. Do you have to wiggle the steering wheel under power to see the frame end move? When I am under the truck and yank with both hands, all my weight on the bar, it is rock solid, can't move it even a hairs breadth.
-P
Old 05-22-2007, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by PaulDaisy
Hmm. My stering wheel is off center, and as I drive along an the road slope changes, sometimes I have to correct and the wheel would then point straight. I am wondering if my axle is "walking" sideways. I need to look at mine. Do you have to wiggle the steering wheel under power to see the frame end move? When I am under the truck and yank with both hands, all my weight on the bar, it is rock solid, can't move it even a hairs breadth.
-P

I feel dumb asking this - but is this track bar and associated "death wobble" a situation with 2wd's as well? I've just had all ball joints, the pitman arm & idler, and steerig box replaced. Thanks for the info...
Old 05-22-2007, 05:46 PM

trackbar is only on 4wd models. keeps the front axle centered under the truck. If it weren't there, the axle would just go side to side as it pleases, which is basically what happens in the "death wobble" the slop in the joint just lets that axle move how it wants.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by PaulDaisy
-P
could very well be your track bar. jack up the front end and have someone turn the wheels left and right and look for play....but it could also be tie rod ends in ur case ..sometimes its also the steering gear being loose or the connection at the pitma arm wiggles
Old 05-23-2007, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by bigwhite59
trackbar is only on 4wd models. keeps the front axle centered under the truck. If it weren't there, the axle would just go side to side as it pleases, which is basically what happens in the "death wobble" the slop in the joint just lets that axle move how it wants.
Thanks for the info. I got a scare three years ago driving te truck for the first time in three months, as it made a "death wobble" like shutter when the service brakes were applied at 55 mph. As it turned out, it was a caliper that was sticking on the driver's side front brake. Sure got me woke up quick!