2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

delayed "wait to start" light

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 01:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
delayed "wait to start" light

I know this has been posted in another thread by another person, but there was never a real response to it, so I'm asking it again: I have a 99 and the wait to start light used to come on as soon as I turned the key. Now, it takes about five seconds before it lights up. If I try to start the engine before it lights up, it will just crank, but not start as though the pump was not on. Once the light comes on (usually immed after my cranking attempt), it will start right up. Someone in another thread said it could be a problem with the ignition switch... does anyone know this? It doesn't seem too important at the moment, but I'm anticipating worse problems as a result later in the future. Thanks
Old 03-26-2007, 11:22 AM

I was the one who posted about this before. It seems to me that the "wait to start light" is definitely connected to the lift pump. The truck will not start until the "wait to start light" comes on and sends power to the lift pump. The questions is, why is my system delaying power output to the lift pump?

I don't think it has anything to do with the ignition switch, because the truck runs through its regular dash diagnostics as soon as you turn the key. There is no difference or delay between then and now as far as the diagnostic test.

Anyone familiar with the electrical system of the gird heater/fuel system. This is annoying the hell out of me, and I fear that this might be the beginning of a bigger problem.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:26 PM

Hey Bando, now my problem has changed...LOL. About a week after I got my vp44 replaced (LP replaced a week earlier), my WTS light stopped lighting altogether. Here's the thing: The truck will start almost immediately after turning the key. It's almost as if the light doesn't come on because it doesn't need to. Once in a while, I'll need to wait a couple of second when turning the key, but usually, I just turn it on, wait a sec (out of habit) and then start it right up. I've tried turning it on and off and starting and killing it and it still won't light up. I can't tell if it's burned out or just not needed to light up.

I saw on another post that the delayed WTS light is from a faulty start switch, but I never experienced any other symptoms of that particular problem, so I dismissed it. Keep me posted when you figure it out.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
no wtsl is a sign of a dying or dead ecm.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:32 PM

Oh Bob, don't be telling me that... Are there other signs I can be looking for besides the WTSL? I drive my truck all over California and it is the backbone of my business. Is there a test that can be done? How would I go about finding a new one and/or replacing it? Thanks.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
you could try resetting the ecm. its free and simple to do.

disconnect the positive cables and leave the key on for 15-30 minutes to drain.

Then leave the key in the on position to reset the ecm.

If that help all is good or you will be needing an ecm replacement.

I do have stock