2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Dash Mounted OD Lockout Switch Question.......

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dash Mounted OD Lockout Switch Question.......

A quick question for those with dash mounted OD lockout switches ('94-'97):

When the headlights are on, and the OD is NOT locked out, does the center of the OD Lockout Switch light up?

The reason I ask this is, yesterday I installed a factory foglight switch next to the OD Lockout switch. After installing the switch, I noticed that the center of the fog light switch would light up when the headlights are on, but not on the od lockout switch.

If the od lockout switch center is supposed to light up with the hedlights on, is this a bulb that can be replaced?

Also, I have heard that it is possible to convert the OD lockout from normally off, to normally on (as in the od is locked out at start-up). Have any of you performed this modification? If so, care to share how you did it?

Thanks!!!

-3Sigma
Old 10-22-2006, 05:45 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The OD switch lights up with the dash lights on the dimmer circuit. When OD is off an orange pilot light is on at the bottom of the button.
To replace the bulbs you have to solder them in. Watch out, when you pop the switch apart springs will fly.

OD off on start up instructions here http://dodgeram.org/tech/mods/transm..._inverter.html

Personally I have no problem pushing the button...
Old 10-23-2006, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by infidel
The OD switch lights up with the dash lights on the dimmer circuit. When OD is off an orange pilot light is on at the bottom of the button.
To replace the bulbs you have to solder them in. Watch out, when you pop the switch apart springs will fly.

OD off on start up instructions here http://dodgeram.org/tech/mods/transm..._inverter.html

Personally I have no problem pushing the button...
Thanks for the information Infidel. My orange pilot light is working, but it wasn't until I added a factory fog light switch, that the center lights up when the headlights are turned on, that I realized that the OD switch was not lighting up.

I am assuming, that when I ACTUALLY get fog lights hooked up, that the little orange pilot light on the factory fog light switch will come on. Yes?

Anyone have a wiring diagram of the factory fog light circut for a 1997???

Also, anyone actually done the OD button inversion. There are a couple of points that I am not clear on.

THANKS!!!!

-3Sigma
Old 10-25-2006, 06:52 PM

Just bought, a few months ago, a 94 2500 4wd Cummins, auto, reg cab, long bed, 126,000, far as I know stock except for exhaust brakes.

The OD button light stayed on all the time, showing it was on...it was switched to no light and OD on, made a lot of sense, having it stay off the majority of the time. Someone did it for me, I have no idea on that

What has happened twice so far, it shifts (pops?) out of OD and the button light switches on, scary. I slow down, push the button back in, and goes back to OD.

Anyone else had it pop out of OD like this?

I am brand new here, thanks.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:37 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Sounds like a bad switch. I would just replace it, they are about $30 from the dealer.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 3Sigma
Also, anyone actually done the OD button inversion. There are a couple of points that I am not clear on.

THANKS!!!!

-3Sigma
I've done this to my truck. It works slick. What do you need to know?