2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Dark Side part III F-250 vs CTD (not a flame)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dark Side part III F-250 vs CTD (not a flame)

I said I would compare my PSD to my recently aquired CTD, not to flame Ford or Dodge but as an informative opinion.

My PSD was a nice truck and it pulled like a moose. So I am surprised how much I like the CTD better.

Here is why:

1)starts and runs better- I think it might be a I-6 vs v8 thing but I like the characteristics of the Cummins much more than the International v8. So call this preference rather than performance.

2)peace of mind- when I got my PSD I spent a lot of time getting it up to snuff. 40,000 miles later it was ready for injector seals, glow plugs, and a "where is the fuel leak" hunt (I know the Dodge has its own issues here). The injector/glow plug thing on a PSD is a weekend job. And plan on doing it again sometime in the future- ugh!

3)Front end on the 250 is total crap and mine was ready for either new springs or a solid dana- does anyone else not have time for that kind of forced shade tree like me??! As if after everything else I want to rebuild the front suspension just because its poorly designed.

4)Not too psyched about the Dodge 4x4 system of locking in - I had mileamrker manuals on my ford- rock solid, never a worry. But the dodge wins for a better front end, not considering the steering issue. But then a fix of that is not anything like stuffing a solid axle dana under the F-250. Cake for some of you with the tools/know how but like wrestling with a 200lb sun dead carp for me....forget that!

5)Trans- both auto. They are both under built as stock but the Ford with a aftermarket valve body shifted way better than the Dodge. The upshot is the Ford VB cost under 300.00. For some reason a VB for the Dodge is a lot more for the same high end performance VB. You can also pull in OD all you want with the Ford- no issues of failure in the later year trans. You have to add a big cooler onto the Ford. Not so with the Dodge.

6)As you know upgrades on the 12 valve are much less of a struggle and cheaper.

7) Here is the thing- the CTD is clearly less maintainance. You can dance all night with the CTD, then fall into bed and sleep late the next day, then jump in and go. The Ford wants you to fuss over it and cuddle. If you don't, it will run, but sooner or later it will start to act out. You will have to buy flowers, book an expensive vacation. and spend your weekends at the in-laws fixing their leach field. The Dodge is like a good hunting dog. It loves attention but does not bust your chops for not always giving it. If you ignore the Ford plan on the face slap (in public of course).

8) The Dodge has a better rear end (LS). By far. Plus the Ford looks like a chicken in a mini skirt from the rear- another terrible design flaw.... unless you are into chickens.

Big Jimmy
Old 02-10-2006, 08:35 AM

Great post Jim, I really like your 8th reason.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:55 AM

That's a pretty good one. I keep hearing a lot of people say that the Ford's interiors are better and the trucks have better fit and finish (not that you said this but others). I don't agree with these statements; I love the way my dash, cab, seat, and everything else is laid out. My dad always had Fords and last year went with a chevy, but both of those brands simply don't compare with my truck for comfort on long trips etc. There's a guy at work with a 2005? F250 that I've ridden in and I just don't see where people are getting the comfort and fit/finish being better from.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:59 AM

Your right Jim...

All truck have there up's and down's but it seems to the way you wrote the thread that Cummins has the up's in the performance catagory. Which is a good thing...

I agree the #8 they do look terrible from the rear...
Old 02-10-2006, 09:16 AM

Good post!! I have had three of the fords,92,94,97. And they all served me well. The 97 I played with on performance and it was a great truck,but like you stated it just isn't like the inline 6. Now I won't go on about the newer fords as I,well I just won't go there. Goodluck,,Rick
Old 02-10-2006, 02:45 PM

I have to agree with you. I have a 97 F-250 4x4 PSD, 5 speed with a kingpin Dana 60 front. I just bought an 01 2500 4x4 5 speed this past weekend. The CTD wins hands down on low end torque and starting every time. Every winter I end up replacing at least one set of connector pins or under valve cover harness on the PSD.

I like the front axle on my Ford much better than the Dodge, but it's not stock so I can't say it's fair to compare them. The Dodge brakes aren't weak but the Ford stops better. The Dodge rear axle is a monster no doubt but I have never had any problems with the 10.25 in my Ford. As far as the trans goes. The NV is light years ahead of the ZF. Every manual PSD I have driven has light to moderate gear noise from idle to 900 rps. Also, ZF synchros don't seem to last very long. I don't know what the life expectancy on the NV is but if you can get 150K out of ZF synchros your doing good.

I can't say which truck has the better interior fit and finish, but the Dodge has a smoother ride. The Ford may have a very small edge. The cummins looks like it will be easier to work on. Changing out injectors is a breeze compared to the PSD. PSD injectors aren't hard, just time consuming. My 2 biggest complaints with the cummins are
1. The oil pan plug is just stupid. Talk about messy, it starts dripping on your hand after 1/2 a turn.
2. The oil filter is too small and in a bad location.

Other than that I have no complaints about the CTD.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by lwcmattlifter
1. The oil pan plug is just stupid. Talk about messy, it starts dripping on your hand after 1/2 a turn.
2. The oil filter is too small and in a bad location. .

I just did my first oil change today and you took the words right out of my mouth!

Big Jimmy