2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Cracks in Dash?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cracks in Dash?

This is my first post so I hope it is in the right place and posts properly.

I have a y2k 2500, QC and have recently acquired 2 cracks in the Dash panel on the passenger side. One is a jagged crack starting at the defrost opening. This one started at about 1 inch in length and then grew to about 2-3 inches in a couple of days. It has not grown since it reached the corner of the tray molded into the passenger side of the dash. Then about a week ago in an instant a crack appeared from near the window to the airbag. This crack is straight as an arrow and happened all at once. I am not real sure what to think. Has anyone had this kind of problem? If so, what have you done to repair it?

Thanks for all your help!

Old 10-27-2003, 10:13 AM

Re:Cracks in Dash?

I try and keep Amor All on mine twice a month, try to keep the cracks from occuring. I know I have seen some Dash repair kits at the local auto store. I dont know how good it works though.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:39 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Check out the molded dash covers they make for this problem, they range in prices from 30 to 100 bucks or so.

Might be the easiest answer to your problem, I have included a link to one such item, they have more.

http://www.jcwhitneyusa.com

The link to the item would not work, search for dash cover at this location
Old 10-27-2003, 01:16 PM

Thanks! I have only had the truck for a few months, but during that time I have been useing Armor all as well. That is why I was so shocked when these cracks showed up.

I will look at the covers for future protection and maybe to hide these cracks.

Thanks for the information. I have been reading from this site for while now and have learned tons about my truck from this site.
Old 10-27-2003, 02:25 PM

A body shop or a shop that does upholstery could repair it. I bought a kit from Eastwood (www.eastwoodcompany.com), that comes with a small iron to impress the repair with the dash pattern. I haven't used it yet, but I have had dashes repaired after wrecks that cut them.
Old 10-27-2003, 06:23 PM
Banned

here's a little tip on armorall. it seems to work well if you start out using it when the dash or whatever is new. but if you wait some time to start using it, it does some weird thing and shreds whatever you put it on. i put it on a perfectly good vinyl top that was a few years old and within days it looked as though a giant cat had used it for a scratching post. man at the upholstery shop looked at it and said, YOU PUT ARMORALL ON THIS DIDN'T YOU?
Old 10-28-2003, 07:50 PM

I noticed a small crack in my dash, in the same place, about 8 months ago. Now it has spread and pieces are chiping loose, and two cracks are forming in the middle, by the defrost vents. It really sux that you pay so much for a new truck and have the dash look like its 15 yrs old, olny after 3 years. I will probably go the dash cover route by next summer.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:28 PM

I agree. I have only had my truck for a few months and already have cracks in my dash.

I have checked with a shop here locally that said they might be able to repair it for a reasonable price (under $150). I may try it if they feel it will hold up for any length of time. I will most likely then finish it off with the pad to help protect it.