2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Coolant Flush

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant Flush

Does anyone know of a link or have instructions as to how to flush out as much coolant as possible during a coolant flush? Would reverse flushing the heater core inlet tube work??? Also I've heard a lot of discussions as to whether to use distilled or tap water. I find this a controversial subject and just wondered if anyone knows the truth from the vast experience on this site.

Thanks
Jeff GO ARMY!!
Old 03-18-2005, 02:10 PM

Best done with hot water from garden hose if possible in the fill neck,
thermostat removed, pet ***** open, regulate volume by valve from faucet until just a little flow out the top,block-set idle at about 1,200 RPM let everything run until water runs clear, refill with 50/50 definetly distilled water and low silica coolant ,you should hear from somebody here what the favorate flush and coolants chemicals for cummins.
Old 03-18-2005, 02:21 PM

You can use the reverse flush or just run water in the top and let it run out the bottom till clean while running the eng. If it is real bad use cascade and run it a bit then flush it. Put in at least 3 gal of concentrate antifreeze, then 50-50 mix. Get some coolant conditioner, at least 1 pint, then once a year add a pint. That keeps your system clean and stops corrosion. As far as water goes, I just use tap water, but my well is pretty good. If you get brown stains in the shower or toilet, don't use it in the rad. City water is usually ok to use. If in doubt, buy spring or distilled water from the store or purified water for .25 a gal. Controversy? Why have a controversy over .25 a gal water? Good luck
Old 03-18-2005, 03:22 PM

From my experience working in my dad's auto body repair shop (also specialized in radiator repair), you DO NOT want to put "regular" tap water into any vehicle's cooling system. The calcium/mineral deposits build up inside the tubes of the radiator and restrict the coolant flow -- thus causing your engine to overheat. We used "soft water" via a Culigan water softener. If your water contains any calcium or minerals, you better use distilled!
Old 03-18-2005, 08:21 PM

distilled water lowers the cylinder head temp . About 15 degrees...
Old 03-18-2005, 10:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Distilled is correct. Tap water can be used but the effects WILL show up down the road. Depending on how long of a road you expect to have you CTD for will determine weather or not you spend a couple of bucks on distilled water or not .
Old 03-19-2005, 07:54 AM

I know the use of tap / distilled water is big in this subject but I'm going to put my 2 cents down.

As for me I have been using tap water from a private well that has very low mineral content. Lets say it take 30 years for a water heater to die. So I know that the water is safe for the truck as well as for the family to drink. Not like some of the city stuff with Clorine!!!

Mineral content is on problem but the other problem is not being addressed here. It is the pH level of the water. This is the second reason most of you HAVE to use distilled water. The clorine that is added will make the water acidic (lower pH). Once again I know my wel is close to a perfect neutral pH (6.9 - 7.1).

Now after you have flushed and reloaded the truck with coolant. Don't think that as long as it's green (or orange) colored the anti-freeze is good. WRONG!!!

A good friend of mine showed me a trick with a DVM (Digital Volt Meter) you can check the status of you coolant. Take the negative probe and touch the negative post of the battery. Then take the posative probe and touch the antifreeze in the radiator. If you show voltage (0.5 and higher - I think was the number) then the antifreeze is turning bad on you. (pH level has shift off the 7.0 mark). Basically distilled water will not have ANY voltage!

So basically if the coolant turn acidic (still green in color) it will start eating the metals of the coolant system. This is one of the biggest reasons that radiators and freeze plugs fail!

So change you coolant when required by Cummins or just do it once a year! then you will be ready for the summer!
Old 03-19-2005, 09:45 AM

I like to do all the work on my truck and cringe at the thought of taking it to have the coolant changed by someone else. But if I do it myself, how do I recover all the coolant when I drain it? I don't want to just flush it on the ground. Won't there be a lot since I will be draining and then flushing? What do you all do?

Mark
Old 03-19-2005, 08:43 PM

The cooling system holds 6 gallons!

So find a 5 gallon bucket or maybe a pair of them!

The drain **** in the bottom of the radiator is extremely slow to drain. So jack the back of the truck up and open the drain and wait!

Once you get the main load of it... I normally pull the thermostat and upper hose off the radiator and flush it completely clean with garden hose.

Then reinstall both thermostat and upper hose.

Now start mixing coolant 50/50 and start pouring... Keep some a side it will burp air out for a few days...
Old 03-20-2005, 11:42 PM

Mopar1973man, thanks! I'll give it a try this spring.

Mark
Old 03-21-2005, 11:17 AM

words and pictures for cooling system,flush from TDR magazine courtesy of the NWBombers
Old 03-22-2005, 07:02 PM

Put your worries to rest, check out Evans.

http://www.evanscooling.com/catalog/C_npg1.htm

It's a lifer, no water, and will hopefully add some years to the "#53"