2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Come in off the ledge or jump?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Come in off the ledge or jump?

Hate to think about but it but the thougth of selling my 12V popped into my head yesterday; I've had my 5-spd '98 12V Quad Cab for about six years and really enjoy driving it - got it because I wanted to mess around with Bio-Diesel and did moderate towing with a 24' pontoon boat.

We've been keeping the boat in a slip on the lake now and only tow it home annually for spring cleaning / mainteance.

As much as I love my truck I've been thinking it would be nice to have something newer & quieter - I now, blasphemy...
Also; while I really enjoy driving a stick there are times my left knee is acting up - getting old...

So yesterday I found myself searching various 4-dr half-tons on Craig's list - F-150, Chevy 1500, Dodge 1500, Tundra, and Nissan Titan; kinda liked the look and reviews of a ~ '08 Nissan Titan, based upon the 'supposed' demand of a 5-spd QC 12V sounds like I could get a nice gasser without any case outlay.

Am I nuts???
Old 01-27-2014, 10:09 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
Yes. you're nuts.

I thought I wanted a new F-150 til I rented one when my trans was down and put gas in it two to three times in one week...

That is a grail truck. And you can slip shift it w/o the clutch, the 5 speed is a lot cheaper to replace than the 6!!

I'm not the brightest candle on the cake, but I still glow a little!
Old 01-28-2014, 08:18 AM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
What he said ^^^^^^
Old 01-30-2014, 02:32 PM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
If you want a new truck then why are you asking anyone around here.....? Its your choice as there's no unknown law which states that you must keep your older Dodge. In saying that, there are people who would love to have your 12 valve so check KBB for supposed value and then check the open market and see whats out there for sale. There's pro's and con's to keeping and selling so weigh them out and decide what works best for you.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd keep it but I have not owned a manual since hi school. Manual is just not worth the work. I have both and I prefer to drive ol red.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:14 PM
Ben

Don't Don't Don't Don't.

I was in this exact same situation and sold my truck. My diesel had become a toy and I have a 21 year old daily driver Honda.

I was h*ll bent on a Chevy 1/2 ton with a 6.2. Sold the Dodge and got the Chevy with a 6.2.

Guess what. I now have a Honda, Chevy 6.2, AND a 99 Cummins RCSB oh-my-I'm gonna kill you-it's-way too much fun-mobile.

The lack of clack clack clack in my life was wearing on me.

Pulling my 99 home with the Chevy, I was missing the Dodge.

If ANYTHING, I would hold off until the Nissan Titan with the Cummins comes out. This is where I am leaning towards in swapping out the 6.2 for.

There is nothing out there now including eco boost that compares to what you have.

Heck, you would be money ahead with an auto swap.

Don't do it. Trust me.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:59 PM

I guess I should add on my last post..... Let my point out that I really like my truck. Serves a purpose but isnt needed as a daily driver and.....most importantly.....its paid for. So even though for the most part I like driving something quieter and smoother around town I can keep my truck happily in the garage and use it when I need it or want to drive it. Now if I had big truck payments and expensive insurance payments and this was my only vehicle then I would feel completely different and would be wanting something which suits my day to day needs more than something I needed every once in awhile. So basically it comes down to what someone can or wants to afford.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!But they tend to call us diesel nuts so take it for what it's worth.

As for newer half ton... my inlaw have the eco boost. Fuel economy is there and the power is surprising. Tows their 27' travel trailer with a slide very well. Only problem is FORD has a design problem with their front end. No adjustable camber so they eat front tires. My 07 FORD company truck has the same problem. They design it so it set right when towing for traction and sway control but who has a half ton hooked to a trailer all day.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:57 PM

nuuuuts.

ive thought about it with mine. even recent. you have to haul your *** up into the truck just to drive it, i live in new england so like 10 out of the 12 months the wait to start light is on for 20 seconds and it takes forever to warm up. its a 6 speed and my knee will also bother me, especially living in a tourist area in the summer and having bumper to bumper traffic. its a pain to park. its loud. it shakes going down the highway due to the military tires.

but.
it puts you back in the seat when you step on the pedal. people look in sheer terror when i roll up next to them at a light because the tire is taller than most hoods. it sounds like a peterbilt coming down the road. people get confused seeing a truck thats just shy of 7'6" totally sideways down the road. i can hook up to a trailer and drive from Rhode Island to Maine and back on one tank of fuel. something about the sound of the turbo and the drastic change in exhaust note from low to high rpm puts a smile on my face. knowing i get better mileage than an f150.

yea theyre big, yea theyre loud, is it totally necessary to own one? probably not, but we all have bought them for a reason and i know my pros outweigh my cons every day.

come in off the ledge brother, its cold out there.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by cjk2000
nuuuuts.

ive thought about it with mine. even recent. you have to haul your *** up into the truck just to drive it, i live in new england so like 10 out of the 12 months the wait to start light is on for 20 seconds and it takes forever to warm up. its a 6 speed and my knee will also bother me, especially living in a tourist area in the summer and having bumper to bumper traffic. its a pain to park. its loud. it shakes going down the highway due to the military tires.

but.
it puts you back in the seat when you step on the pedal. people look in sheer terror when i roll up next to them at a light because the tire is taller than most hoods. it sounds like a peterbilt coming down the road. people get confused seeing a truck thats just shy of 7'6" totally sideways down the road. i can hook up to a trailer and drive from Rhode Island to Maine and back on one tank of fuel. something about the sound of the turbo and the drastic change in exhaust note from low to high rpm puts a smile on my face. knowing i get better mileage than an f150.

yea theyre big, yea theyre loud, is it totally necessary to own one? probably not, but we all have bought them for a reason and i know my pros outweigh my cons every day.

come in off the ledge brother, its cold out there.
I love it.....
Old 02-14-2014, 06:51 PM

Another point to keep the old girl...

Got in a wreck in January and had to put my work truck (97 F-350 flatbed 7.3) in the shop for repairs...All the other work trucks are 1/2 ton pickups and don't tow our trailers very well.

My Dodge got the call so into service she goes. I closed my business and quit hauling trailers and tools about 3 years ago, except for our summer fishing trip up to Gold River BC hauling 13K lbs of boat and gear...

No Toyota could haul the trailer as economically or with as much grunt and noise!!
Old 02-18-2014, 05:17 PM

I fully support your decision....as long as you sell me your 12v...
Old 02-21-2014, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Noah Davis
I fully support your decision....as long as you sell me your 12v...
^^^^Surprised it took that long to get an offer on here!!!!
Old 02-22-2014, 02:07 PM

Keep her,i have the 01 in my sig that sits in the garage all week long,usually only run it to the lake property during the nicer times of the year(love it over the 07on the highway). A boat load of money tided up into the truck and built the way i like it,----- but for some reason i cannot part with it---maybe to much effort/time/money/pride and turns a lot of heads.The only advantage for me is i have the 07 Mega auto 4x4 DRW as my daily driver so i still will be able to drive a "CUMMINS" if i ever part with the 2001.Many seem to regret it afterward and are drawn back to noise.Good luck with your decision.PS---- my 01,sitting pretty under cover has 41,600 original miles---maybe they will bury me in it some day.CHEERS DW
Old 02-24-2014, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by DWeiler
Keep her,i have the 01 in my sig that sits in the garage all week long,usually only run it to the lake property during the nicer times of the year(love it over the 07on the highway). A boat load of money tided up into the truck and built the way i like it,----- but for some reason i cannot part with it---maybe to much effort/time/money/pride and turns a lot of heads.The only advantage for me is i have the 07 Mega auto 4x4 DRW as my daily driver so i still will be able to drive a "CUMMINS" if i ever part with the 2001.Many seem to regret it afterward and are drawn back to noise.Good luck with your decision.PS---- my 01,sitting pretty under cover has 41,600 original miles---maybe they will bury me in it some day.CHEERS DW
Look here grandpa.....you may want to take the opportunity to even drive before they do have to bury you in it.

Quick Reply: Come in off the ledge or jump?