2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

code fault?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
code fault?

My 01 has a code come up on the odometer display area. It starts with the truck not wanting to start....click, try again, click. Then I noticed this code: P PCU, then it turns to - - - - - -. Then it said: Done. What does all of this mean?

I replaced the batteries last weekend, thinking they were dying on me, but the starting problem happened again today. Do I need a new starter, or cables?
Old 11-12-2005, 06:18 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you acciedntially pulled your codes (key on, off, on, off, then on). If it just said "P-done", you have no codes. You can get your codes pulled with a real scanner to be sure.

You must have a bad ground, or battery connection or both.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by jdcone
My 01 has a code come up on the odometer display area. It starts with the truck not wanting to start....click, try again, click. ?
...you need to splain Lucy!!! No start.....you mean "cranks ok, but won't start"? or "won't crank"....which would make more sense with the battery replacement.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:29 PM

I hope that's all it is. This is my work truck, so I can't afford for it to sit in a shop all day. Thanks, JD.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:37 PM
P.J
Banned

From the "Click" desription, I was getting the impression it was like when you have a bad/dirty connection, bad solenoid, or near dead battery. In other words, no real starter engagement?
Correct?
Old 11-12-2005, 07:25 PM

I turn the key...it goes "click", nothing else. Then I try a few more times, with the same results. Finally, it starts. This has been happening for a few weeks now. 78K on the odometer, if this helps. (and it's an automatic, with no mods of any kind, anywhere). It doesn't happen very often,a couple times a week at the most.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:36 PM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by jdcone
I turn the key...it goes "click", nothing else. Then I try a few more times, with the same results. Finally, it starts. This has been happening for a few weeks now. 78K on the odometer, if this helps. (and it's an automatic, with no mods of any kind, anywhere). It doesn't happen very often,a couple times a week at the most.
Right, just to confirm, this is how your codes (or no-code) showed up in the odometer window, nothing to worry about there.
J-Body would know better, but I think you need to narrow the issue down.
I'm thinking you have a bad battery or ground connection somewhere.

Never had this type of issue with my truck, but the boat did the same exact thing this year, would start fine after about 2-5 "clicks" turned out to be the solenoid (sp?)
Old 11-12-2005, 07:40 PM

I just replaced the batteries last weekend, thinking this was the problem....being 5yrs old. I was thinking the same thing....starter solenoid. But I know very little about these diesels....so far.

Is there someplace to get a list of these codes?
Old 11-12-2005, 10:53 PM

When attempting to crank and you get an audible "click" and then after a few tries it cranks ok that indicates a prob with the starter solenoid. Depending on your degree of mechanical expertise, you can replace the starter assembly, or just order the contacts from a vendor and install them. At work for warranty concerns we install the starter assembly, but if it's a good customer that has an understanding of the attempted repair I'll simply throw the contacts in. Not that hard of a job, and all of them that have risked just installing the contacts haven't had a prob.