2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Checking Fuel Heater

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 04:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the numbers I posted are fleetguard btw, not cummins (same thing I've been told)

www.industrialdiesel.com
Old 12-07-2005, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I hate to revive a dead topic, but I figure I would add to this post now that the replacement heating element has arrived and is installed.

After making multiple phone calls, I finally was able to order the part based on this number: 3907766s. I am told it is an obsolete part, but the shop 120 miles away had one. The box arrived and it is a fleetgaurd part stamped 390776600 S with another number on the same line stamped 3944267. It is labelled "Fuel Heater Kit".

The part does look different from the original one on my truck, and the element itself is redesigned.

When I opened the package it had a sheet of paper titled "Fuel Heater Installation Instruction Sheet For 390776600 S Heater Kit P/N 394004100".

It states: "3900776600 S Heater Kit consists of 392801300 Fuel Heater and 383418500 Rect Gasket
The heater generally seals against the head. The gasket should be installed in the correct place on the heater kit. The kit should then be taken and assembled gasket end up sealing against the head for a filter and Head Assembly, or gasket end down towards the bowl in the Fuel Strainer & Bowl Assembly. Removable Loctite 680 (Green) should be applied to all Inserts. The inserts should then be Torqued to 30 in_Lbs Max". Parts numbers are included below." (This is typed word for word, no typos, so what the heck is a Rect Gasket?)

The instructions then show two separate diagrams, one is for a spin on type filter, and the other is for the cast aluminum bowl type found on my 97 Dodge.

Problem with the diagram is, the heater needs to be installed UPSIDE DOWN from what is shown in the diagram for the Dodge. The diagram does show the heater installed upside down for the spin on type fiilter, but it shows it right side up for my Dodge. I call right side up as the position the ORIGINAL heating element was installed. Confused yet? So was I, but playing around with everything led me to believe that this is the only way the heating element could be installed.

The locking tab on the electrical plug for the heating element now faces up, were as originally it was facing down. If anybody is interested, I can probably send them a copy of the instructions, but, your better off disregarding them and just looking at all the parts, and figureing out how they go together on your own.

Before I did this, while looking at the diagram, I thought I needed an additional rubber gasket. So, I sent the wife to the Cummins shop, and once again, they could not locate the part based on the part numbers listed in the instructions. Nice huh?

I went on the Cummins site, and the Fleetgaurd site, typed in all of the part numbers I found on the box, and on the instructions sheet. None of the parts came up. I kept getting the "no part listed for that number". I did this multiple times, typeig the numbers in multiple versions.

The install was easy, but you will need an allen wrench (8mm if I remember correctly) to remove the old heating element. The strainer gasket is not included and I reused my old one (it was not that old). The gasket that is included in the kit is shown in the diagram as the strainer gasket, but it is not, it is for going in between the heating element and the top portion of the prefilter/heater assembly. The heating element is held in place by a center hollow threaded piece (this is the part that is removed with the allen wrench).

Hopefully that was clear as mud. Still amazed at the difficulty I had getting the part, everybody acted like I was the first person to ever need this part, and the amazed at the instructions, as well as the part nubers not showing up on the fleetgaurd or the cummins site.

But, everything works, no leaks, and truck seems to run a little better as I no longer have a leak at the electrical connection point. BTW, if you have a leak, it means the heater is dead. The shorting out of the heater element causes one of the pins to heat up and melt the plastic, which causes the leak.

Glad that is done, can't wait till I need to get another part . Kevin
Old 12-07-2005, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...so what the heck is a Rect Gasket? ...
Translation, putting a square peg in a round hole.

Rectangular does mean the hole it seals. It refers to the cross section of the gasket meaning it is square cut.

O-ring is the same thing. It doesn't mean it it seals a circular shape, it means the gasket is an "O" in cross section.

Yes, the Fleetguard written instructions do not match the illustrations. My revsion 01 instructions are not much better.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:03 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Nonexistent part numbers seem to be quite common with Cummins.
I received a national sale flyer from Cummins a few years back that had the shutdown solenoid boot on sale for $19 along with the part number. I called several Cummins dealers, they all said the number didn't exist. To this day I've never heard of anyone who has been able to buy the boot separately from Cummins, but at least they were on sale.