2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

CB mount locations in a 02 QC

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CB mount locations in a 02 QC

I'm getting a CB for use on the road and hunting camping. I have everything figured out but where to mount the radio in the cab. I already have a 7" or so LCD display in the cup holder for a backup camera and don't really have much more room. I'm thinking of a ceiling mount but don't have a clue as to what's above the headliner or how to remove and reattach or what I can use as supports for the radio. I don't have the compass MPG display so I think this is where I'll mount my radio but would like a 2nd or 10th opinion.

Here is my camera setup, the FP gauge has been moved out of the ash tray to above the steering column and the brake controller is under the ashtray you can just barely see in this picture and easily access again.

My only other thoughts as my cup holder doesn't fold up anymore is to mount under the open holder but don't think that would be strong enough.

Ideas, opinions?

Thanks
Old 02-25-2008, 06:30 PM

The location depends somewhat on the specific radio you are running. If the speaker is on the top of the radio, you don't want to put that up against your headliner but if it is on the front or bottom, that is fine. You can always run an external speaker but that is just one more thing. I have several radios and keep my cb mounted down and slightly to the right of the steering column by my right knee in a similar location to where people often put brake controllers. I really like this location and I have the mic up on the dash. I have another radio under the center seat which really works well if you know the buttons by heart and the speaker is properly placed in the unit.

Looking at your situation, I put it under the cupholder if it fit. You could either mount it to the floor or to the underside of the cupholder. That way you wouldn't have a mic cable swinging around blocking your rearview and it wouldn't be in your line of vision at night.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:00 PM

Will it fit between the seat and the cup holder?
This is how I mounted my scanner in my 02 QC (I have a manual, so I don't have the cup holder)

~Rob
Old 02-25-2008, 08:52 PM

Thanks everyone.

Rob that is the 2nd time I've seen a mount like that in my search and seems like the best option. I'm curious how the speaker sounds being bottom mounted with that location. Also I will assume this is a custom/home made bracket to mount the radio to get it to stay put in this location?

Thanks again
Old 02-25-2008, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by 2500Ram
I'm curious how the speaker sounds being bottom mounted with that location. Also I will assume this is a custom/home made bracket to mount the radio to get it to stay put in this location?

Thanks again
Since it is not pressed right up against the seat, the speaker sounds fine, I have had no issue hearing the unit.
The mount is a custom "Rob Special"
Bought some flat iron at Home Depot and bent it to what I needed. The part that curves under the seat is connected to the seat frame. There are some bolts that hold the middle console to the floor bracket. I pulled those out, drilled some holes in the iron and then slid the iron between the bottom of the middle console and the brackets, then put the bolts back through everything.

~Rob
Old 02-26-2008, 07:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i know it'll be hard to give up but if you take out the cup holder you can mount it under there with your screen below it. Or make a console like I did to house it check my gallery for photos
Old 02-26-2008, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Joe Diesel
i know it'll be hard to give up but if you take out the cup holder you can mount it under there with your screen below it. Or make a console like I did...
You could do that and then order the Geno's Cup Smoothie, that way you would still have cup holders.

~Rob
Old 02-26-2008, 04:55 PM

i bought a "Shelf-It Visor bar" from northern tool when i first got my truck.. its a bar that can be screwed into your visor holes that goes across the top of ur headliner that can be used as a shelf also. (hides my 2 coaxs), i drilled two holes in the middle and mounted my cb up there, to the right of my rear view mirror. It came out mint. I can post pics if anyone is interested.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:58 PM

Buy The Mount From Genos Mine Works Real Well, Kind Of Protects The Cup Holders With The Cb Mounted There
Old 02-26-2008, 05:05 PM

Ive got mine attached to the bottom of the fold down cup holder. I have it slid forward enough that if the cup holder is down (which it always is) I can still see the screen and all the *****. Good luck
Old 02-26-2008, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Diesel
i know it'll be hard to give up but if you take out the cup holder you can mount it under there with your screen below it. Or make a console like I did to house it check my gallery for photos
That looks pretty sharp bud. Good work!
Old 02-26-2008, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by MATTIEBOB
Buy The Mount From Genos Mine Works Real Well, Kind Of Protects The Cup Holders With The Cb Mounted There
This one?
http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo....B_MOUNT_9402DG

Didn't know it existed, like it, but kinda pricey. Thanks
Old 02-26-2008, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by fordkiller43
x2

I've been thinking about a custom center console, not sure yet but it's a great look. If you buy vinyl with the same texture as the dash or close will dash paint stick and last or do you have to get the vinyl to color?
Old 02-26-2008, 08:15 PM

mine is the little cobra that is only around 4 inches wide with only 3 ****, i think the 19. I put it to the left of the ashtray. I had to bend the bracket a little but it still had enough room to allow for the display to be level with the dash line and i can see it perfectly and it is'nt in the way. I hand the mic on the tilt wheel lever and it works great! might be an option if it is a smaller CB
TNutcher
Old 02-27-2008, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by fordkiller43
Originally Posted by 2500Ram
x2

I've been thinking about a custom center console, not sure yet but it's a great look. If you buy vinyl with the same texture as the dash or close will dash paint stick and last or do you have to get the vinyl to color?
thx guys, its been a work in progress for years now no time to finish it but thats my plan either finish it off with grey vinyl or leather or a buddy of mine said he could finish it in a grey plastic texture material. Its gotten to the point that all my friends are willing to finish it off just to see it done

Quick Reply: CB mount locations in a 02 QC