2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

CB mount

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JSPulliam21
Why are the Striker radios illegal without a license?
The FCC sez that you can transmit with a maximum of 4 (or maybe its 4.5) watts of power on the CB frequencies. There are some folks who purchase a Ham radio made to transmit in the 10 meter band (real close to the CB frequencies) that run a lot more power and have them modified to transmit on the CB frequencies. Sort of, kind of illegal although the FCC has been a little slack in enforcing these particular rules and laws. The there are the folks who use a linear amplifier on the CB frequencies, 100 watts will do a lot more than the stock 4 and then there are some fools who run a whole lot more. Those are the ones the FCC will go after eventually as they also interfere with a lot of other electronics. They also put so much trash on the frequency that it is now hard to communicate over 3 or 5 miles on CB anymore.
If you want to use a CB, my advice is to get a good radio and get a great antenna. If you want to talk further than what CB will get you, go with amateur radio. License cost about $10.00 and allows you to run a maximum of 1500 watts, legally. Pretty neat to drive up the road and have a conversation with someone in Holland, or Chile. That you can do with 50 watts of power and a $200 radio.
I do a lot of driving, started with a CB, added a linear and though I was really doing good when I talked to someone in Canada once. Moved to the amateur side and enjoy it a whole lot more.
By the way, have a Yaesu FT8900R mounted in the dash, not happy with it there and will move it one day when I have a little time. Neat part is that the face plate comes off the radio, can mount it with velcro about anywhere and then put the radio in an out of the way spot like under the seat, run the extension cable ($2.89 at Radio Shack) and I'm in business.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:20 PM

does anyone have an pics of one mounted on the roof? i had thought of that but since i dont have an overhead console i dunno how it would look......i really like how 12vmudders is...the only thing that worries me is that it would block my cupholders on the floor....
Old 10-24-2007, 06:34 PM

Yea my striker is 450 watts of power. It EDIT the other truck drivers off when I am close to them and it blasts their speakers loud as crap. Not to mention when I talk they all hear me cause I overpower many other radios. Many drivers ask me where I got it and what kind it is so they can go buy one.

Last edited by jrs_dodge_diesel; 10-24-2007 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Foul Language
Old 10-24-2007, 07:14 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by BIGBEN2004
Yea my striker is 450 watts of power. It EDIT the other truck drivers off when I am close to them and it blasts their speakers loud as crap. Not to mention when I talk they all hear me cause I overpower many other radios. Many drivers ask me where I got it and what kind it is so they can go buy one.
This is very illegal, and my only suggestion is to not do that sort of activity. Illegally modified equipment and poorly designed amplifiers put out a lot of garbage on the air, that interferes with a lot of other electronics (TV's, radios, etc) Not the kind of operation the FCC looks kindly upon. You especially won't like it if the FCC ever nailed you with a fine for illegal operation. (i.e. it's not cheap)

Originally Posted by gunny
The FCC sez that you can transmit with a maximum of 4 (or maybe its 4.5) watts of power on the CB frequencies. There are some folks who purchase a Ham radio made to transmit in the 10 meter band (real close to the CB frequencies) that run a lot more power and have them modified to transmit on the CB frequencies. Sort of, kind of illegal although the FCC has been a little slack in enforcing these particular rules and laws. The there are the folks who use a linear amplifier on the CB frequencies, 100 watts will do a lot more than the stock 4 and then there are some fools who run a whole lot more. Those are the ones the FCC will go after eventually as they also interfere with a lot of other electronics. They also put so much trash on the frequency that it is now hard to communicate over 3 or 5 miles on CB anymore.
If you want to use a CB, my advice is to get a good radio and get a great antenna. If you want to talk further than what CB will get you, go with amateur radio. License cost about $10.00 and allows you to run a maximum of 1500 watts, legally. Pretty neat to drive up the road and have a conversation with someone in Holland, or Chile. That you can do with 50 watts of power and a $200 radio.
I do a lot of driving, started with a CB, added a linear and though I was really doing good when I talked to someone in Canada once. Moved to the amateur side and enjoy it a whole lot more.
By the way, have a Yaesu FT8900R mounted in the dash, not happy with it there and will move it one day when I have a little time. Neat part is that the face plate comes off the radio, can mount it with velcro about anywhere and then put the radio in an out of the way spot like under the seat, run the extension cable ($2.89 at Radio Shack) and I'm in business.
Glad to see another active ham. BTW here is some info on the CB band:

The frequency allocations directly below the CB band are allotted for the U.S military. Directly above is reserved for Federal government (not a very wide allotment but one nonetheless). Above that is the 10 meter amateur band.

Typically, if you get a notice from the FCC (normally via mail), you are directed to respond to the FCC's inquiry. IF you do, that normally result in a easy to swallow cease and desist order. Failure to respond typically results in a $10,000 dollar fine, siezure of the equipment in question, and revocation of any radio licenses you may have.

Here is the power that you can legally run from a CB as set forth in CFR 47, part 95 :

4 watts in AM (amplitude modulation)

or 12 watts in SSB (single side band)
Old 10-24-2007, 07:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mrploww
I am buying an '01 6 speed truck and was wondering about a CB mount. I found one at Geno's Garage that mounts between the front seats. It says it will not fit larger CB radios. Is anyone running that mount? I have a Cobra 25 and want to know if it will fit this mount with a 6 speed.

Thanks!
Anybody know if a Galaxy DX99 fits in the mounts from genos. Ham radio Jumped over to cb with lots of neat features like echo voice changer and a stupid sounding robot voice. Got it in the big truck right now.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:57 PM

u need a dx bracket,it's a bigger chassis
Old 10-24-2007, 07:58 PM

Mx684, I'll try & post some pics of the overhead mount.
If you spend much time on the interstate, you will see that most people won't talk to a cb that is pushing too much power cause its annoying. All you have to do is take your cb to a cb shop & they'll peak & tune it for $20. I may not burst other guys speakers, but my Uniden 68 & K40 whip antenna can reach out as far as I need (5 to 7 miles).
Old 10-24-2007, 08:08 PM

wadecool, that would be great if you could. i like the onfloor mount but like i said i hate to loose my cupholders...
Old 10-25-2007, 12:00 AM

i made one the other day out of .073 alum. diamond plate. it should work for your radio and might not interfere with your cup holders. i'll try to get some pics up tomorrow. maybe you could make something similar. mine cost me $35 for the 12"x24" alum. about 2 hours of my time and it's all done.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:05 AM

Mx684, do you have an overhead console? If you do, its really easy to drill 2 holes in the 1 inch plastic divider between compartments? I'm looking for my digital camera today to get some pics for ya, but I can talk you thru it also. Send me a private message & we can exchange emails. I wouldn't want my cb mounted where these other guys are talking about, especially with a 5 or 6 speed. You would come close to hitting the shifter on the cb in 2nd & 4th gear, plus you couldn't keep anything under the center seat. I keep my Glock .45 there, & like having quick access to it if needed.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:52 AM

no dont have an overhead console....im headed off to work, ill be back on sometime tonight....do you think i could mount it up there and not having it look goofy without a console??
Old 10-25-2007, 10:23 AM

It wouldn't look goofy, it will look cool, you will hear your cb speaker a lot better from the roof mount, and the cb will be up out of your way.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:28 AM

I installed my full size ssb CB radio in my truck using a mobile cell phone pedestal mount. It is fully adjustable for all angles. I have a 5spd manual and is mounted on the center hump behind the shifter. It has plenty of clearance and provides ample room under the unit for vacuuming. I tried the bracket style mounting but didn't like the angle and how close it was to the middle seat.

95 Ram 5spd no mods
Old 10-25-2007, 03:54 PM

here are a couple of pics of mine installed and the prototype i made from lighter gauge steel. the 1" x 1" square tube was cut and bolted under the seat using the existing bolts that hole the center seat to the outer seat frames. the diamond plate was bolted to the steel tube from the back so there are no visible bolts.

1 thing i will probably change will be to use round head screws or bolts to hold the radio and linear to the diamond plate. there is still enough room to slide your hand in to open the storage compartment but i have already scraped my hand on the bolt heads.
Attached Thumbnails CB mount-pa250030.jpg   CB mount-pa250031.jpg   CB mount-pa250032.jpg   CB mount-pa250034.jpg   CB mount-pa250036.jpg