2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Carpet removal/cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carpet removal/cleaning

Anyone remove carpet from their truck and clean it? If so how did it go? Did it go back in correctly and was it worth it?
Old 08-22-2006, 05:06 PM

You Betcha!
And it's not hard at all... Really makes an old Goat not SMELL like a goat anymore.
Remove the seats, trim, and pull the carpet out and hang it up over a STOUT steel pipe, fence or such and take a pressure washer to it...
I believe if I remember right, disconecting the seatbelt with the side plastic trim was the thing that gave me the most grief.
Carwashes WILL work but usually they have very poor facilities to hold that large a piece of carpet upright while it is soaked with many gallons of soapy water.. (H E A V Y !)
Do a search here on cleaning carpet. There'll be LOTS of reading to do...
One thing to look for/plan on, is replacing the rotten/funky felt pad under the passenger side carpet because of the A/C drain leaking back into the cab... If you have that malady, do a search on that too.. LOTS of reading /with easy fixes...

After you get it pressurewashed, let it dry on the fence for a few days and when you are happy with the felt pad underneath, stick it back in.. No shrinkage...
Top it of with a bit of Febreze...

K.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:04 PM

Took the carpet out of my 96' because of a water leak. I needed to isolate the leak. Turned out I had three separate leaks. Since it was out I used the steam cleaner. I had to change out the water a couple of times. I gave it a few days to dry before reinstalling. I also added some soundproofing to the cab since everything was accessible. I wasn't sure if it made a difference. People that regularly rode in the back could tell a sound difference.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:43 PM

I wouldn't mind just pulling the carpet out of mine and line-X ing the whole floorboard.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:49 PM
Banned

Works great. While I don't remove my carpet I do steam clean it a couple of times a year (need to do it again since a bottle of engine degreaser and goldschlager spilled on it) and it makes it smell and look SOOO much better.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:47 AM

Thanks for the info. I will do it this weekend, doesnt sound like too much trouble.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by wcjp
I also added some soundproofing to the cab since everything was accessible. I wasn't sure if it made a difference. People that regularly rode in the back could tell a sound difference.
I considered doing that seeing how accessible everything was, but I wasn't prepared to install it at that time... But since I pulled the carpet once, I know how hard it is and when I do it again, I may add some deadening mat'l at that time.

K.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:00 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Get a little green machine at your local walmart. works like a champ.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by BigBlue
Works great. While I don't remove my carpet I do steam clean it a couple of times a year (need to do it again since a bottle of engine degreaser and goldschlager spilled on it) and it makes it smell and look SOOO much better.
I thought goldschlager was engine degreaser...
Old 08-24-2006, 06:20 AM

I pulled mine out(96 standard cab) and let it soak with a carpet cleaner real good a few times, then washed it out with a water hose. Some stains were persistent, but overall it came out a lot cleaner/better smelling. I thought about putting some roll-in bedliner in instead, but the ridges in the floor would make it look a little funny and would get in the way of my feet at times.

The combination of water leaks(4+? IIRC) and AC drain made a small rust spot on the passenger floorboard- I sanded and primed/painted it before reinstalling.

Since this I heard about this product:

http://www.quietsolution.com/Transpo...ks/trucks.html

I might get some and install later.