2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Can't get steering wheel straight

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't get steering wheel straight

Over the weekend I put in a new trac bar, shocks and steering stabilizer. When I went to test drive the truck Dodge on the steering wheel was vertical instead of horizontal so the steering wheel was not centered. I did a search and found that I could center it by adjusting the drag link. Well I have adjusted several times to center, drive the truck and then it is off center quite a bit, not as bad as when I started.

Before I go replacing parts in the front end thought I would ask what may be wrong. Is the drag link worn out? Tie rod ends?

I did check the alignment and it is close 1/16 off.

So I'm at a lose of what could be causing this.

Any info is appreciated.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:39 PM
Banned

Look for what is different (besides play obviously) between old & new. If new track bar is same length as the one you took out, no changes should be seen in the steering wheel position. You are correct. Adjustment is in the drag link. What track bar did you install?
Old 07-20-2010, 03:02 PM

I got one off ebay from world suspension. It came with adjustable ends.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know about the '95s, but mine has an adjustable steering wheel bushing that is just for straightening the steering wheel. Always drove me crazy getting an alignment and the steering wheel is 1/4 turn off. Then the Service Manager of the local Tire Kingdom showed me the adjustable bracket off the pitman arm....
Old 07-20-2010, 10:48 PM

I'll take a look in the morning. That would be really nice if my 95 has one.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:29 AM

It's a collar around the linkage that, when both bolts are loosened you rotate one way or the other and it lengthens or shortens the steering linkage. It only centers your steering wheel and doesn't affect your alignment at all....
Old 07-21-2010, 06:38 PM

That is what I have adjusted. I took anothre crack at it today and got it closer.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:30 PM

It took me at least ten times to get mine straight after putting the front suspension parts on. I thought I had it in the shop and then take it out on the highway and its off. Try again and went too far the other way. Got confused on which way to turn it. Went too far back the other way. For me it was hopeless getting it sitting still. Make tiny adjustments and cruise on a good straight road and be patient, you will get it. A few beers should help.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:31 PM

That is what I did this morning (minus the beers) and got it close before I had to go to work. I'm going to finish it in the morning.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:25 PM

Got it Made little adjustments and ran the steering wheel lock to lock then make a little more adjsutments and finally got it

Is it me or is this a pain?
Old 07-22-2010, 09:26 PM

It is for sure. I got pretty aggravated with mine and I wasn't kidding about taking 10 tries at getting it on the money. I had it close several times and couldn't stand it being off even slightly. So I would go just a tiny bit more, too much, went too far dammit. The beers do help though.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:47 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
here is the obvious loser way to do the adjustment. Because I'm lazy

make sure your adjustable track bar has the axle centered.

drive the truck forward, with the wheel centered properly. Mark the dash with a piece of electrical tape, in line with the center of the wheel. Drive in a straight line, and stop. Leave the wheel unlocked. Put a piece of electrical tape around the rim of the wheel, in the center at the top.

Get under the truck, loosen the locking bolts, and rotate the collar on the drag link, until the two pieces of tape line up. Tighten the bolts.

Drive into the sunset.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:58 PM

It's nice to drive down the road with a centered steering wheel. I do have a little play in the wheel but not ready to take that on yet.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:13 AM

the split collar is the correct way to center the steering wheel
Old 07-23-2010, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by sheriffav8r
I don't know about the '95s, but mine has an adjustable steering wheel bushing that is just for straightening the steering wheel. Always drove me crazy getting an alignment and the steering wheel is 1/4 turn off. Then the Service Manager of the local Tire Kingdom showed me the adjustable bracket off the pitman arm....
The steering wheel being straight after having an alignment done IS PART OF DOING THE JOB CORRECTLY !!

Any reliable professional shop would not return a vehicle back to it's owner until the wheel was centered as it should be. Very easy to do when you have it up on the rack.

Quick Reply: Can't get steering wheel straight