2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

can warped rotor = DW?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can warped rotor = DW?

Ive had a recuring DW for some time now, Rebuilt the entire front end except the hub assemblies last year. took it in for an alignment, they told me one ball joint was loose and pass side bearing was loose.

I jacked it up today, and with a 4' steel bar i couldnt find any play in the ball joints, and no up or down movement in the hub bearings.

The wobble is mainly when breaking. I know my rear drums are shot and due for replacement, but i cant see how that would contribute so im doing one thing at a time. when i did the front end, i replaced the rotors with napa rotors.

I guess my questions would be

A. can warped rotors cause a pretty substantial wobble?
B. can dually rotors be cut on the vehicle.?
C. should i be able to feel hub bearing play by checking as i would for ball joint play?

thanks
Old 10-09-2008, 11:25 PM

I don't know if it can cause DW, but you should feel a pulse in the brake pedal if its warped rotors.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:19 PM

I feel it mainly in the steering wheel, when im drive on a banked turn to the left, I feel some wobble in the steering wheel also.
Im just so tired of throwing parts at the front end, all to come back with some other symptom.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:14 PM

If it's warped rotors, the steering wheel would shake and you'd feel the pulses in the brake pedal when you brake. At least that's how it was for one of our cars.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:34 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Worn out hub bearings can mimic warped rotors.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:01 PM

Get the BD steering box brace and make sure the track bar is tight or better yet upgrade it,The steering box brace made a huge difference by itself well worth the money. No DW for me and my rotors have been slightly warped for the last 50k.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by smokeyram
Ive had a recuring DW for some time now, Rebuilt the entire front end except the hub assemblies last year. took it in for an alignment, they told me one ball joint was loose and pass side bearing was loose.

I jacked it up today, and with a 4' steel bar i couldnt find any play in the ball joints, and no up or down movement in the hub bearings.

The wobble is mainly when breaking. I know my rear drums are shot and due for replacement, but i cant see how that would contribute so im doing one thing at a time. when i did the front end, i replaced the rotors with napa rotors.

I guess my questions would be

A. can warped rotors cause a pretty substantial wobble?
B. can dually rotors be cut on the vehicle.?
C. should i be able to feel hub bearing play by checking as i would for ball joint play?

thanks
Yes the rotors can be cut on the car.I would check for play in all the steering componets.If it is 4x4 or the hd front end add a steering gear brace,it will firm up the feel.A good hd steering stabilizer will help as well.Many trucks are cured of D/W by replacing the tires.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:02 PM

A. Generallly rotors are not that critical for DW. You did say a slight wobble in left turn with brakes applied .... This is not Death Wobble. You can easily check for warpage with dial indicator on rotor surface.
B. Right shop, right equipment can cut on vehicle.
C. Check wheel bearing by alternatelly pushing at top and pulling at bottom of raised wheel. Then reversing, back and forth. A small amount of play is normal. Perhaps 1/8 inch or less.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:08 PM

thanks for the input, i think im gooing to have to pull it apart for a closer look, all the steering components are relatively new except the hub bearings, but i guess when its apart ill see more.

I guess what I was asking though is can a warped rotor cause the symptom im talking about?
Old 10-12-2008, 08:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
warped rotors can be felt thru the steering and to check the bearing problem raise the wheel and check it for back and forth movement i believe. been awhile, and i dont think they can be turned on the dually because of the adapter on the hub till its been removed