2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Can I install longer control arms prior to leveling?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I install longer control arms prior to leveling?

I need to replace my control arms. I don't want to get stock length because I'm planning to install the carli starter system when funds allow. To prepare for the leveling kit, I'd like to purchase longer control arms. What issues will I run into if I install longer control arms at stock height?
Old 01-20-2010, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by ldornak
I need to replace my control arms. I don't want to get stock length because I'm planning to install the carli starter system when funds allow. To prepare for the leveling kit, I'd like to purchase longer control arms. What issues will I run into if I install longer control arms at stock height?
your axle wont be centered. would be the biggest thing. best to do everything at the same time. IMO
Old 01-20-2010, 06:01 PM

your axle wont be centered. would be the biggest thing. best to do everything at the same time. IMO
I understand that, but I just replaced my trackbar 10k ago with a non-adjustable. According to many posts on here, the slight axle shift to the left after adding a leveling kit is not that big of a deal. I can probably live with it until this bar wears out and I get an adjustable.

What I'm concerned about is will I be able to adjust caster within spec with the longer control arms at stock height.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:38 PM

he meant the axle would be pushed forward with longer control arms. the trackbar takes care of side-to-side centering, and arms take care of front to back centering.

why do you need to replace them? are they bent or mangled? the bushings only can be replaced if that is the issue.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:17 PM

why do you need to replace them? are they bent or mangled? the bushings only can be replaced if that is the issue.
The bushings are shot and I wanted to go with a heavier arm. Also, I plan on installing a leveling kit and I'll need longer arms to center the axle in the wells.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:18 PM

how far off is the leveling kit? might be worth it to just do the bushings now and everything else later . . .
Old 01-21-2010, 11:11 AM

I have a leveling kit and an adjustable track bar which I added later. I would say going with the 1/2" longer control arms before the leveling springs should be fine.

The control arms will be great once you get the taller springs installed. I do wish I had them myself. The 1/2" longer should be managable from an alignment perspective but I'm no alignment expert.

Are the arms you are considering adjustable? Which ones are you considering?
Old 01-21-2010, 04:36 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
I've got a 2" levelling kit on my truck and I can't say the wheels don't look centered in the wheel well. I don't think a 2" lift is gonna really move your axle back that much.

Kurt
Old 01-21-2010, 04:53 PM

Are the arms you are considering adjustable? Which ones are you considering?
I'm looking at the Top Gun Customz arms. They are non-adjustable, but they build them to custom lengths (http://www.topguncustomz.com/Store/G...view=231298700)

I don't think a 2" lift is gonna really move your axle back that much.
I'm looking at the Carli Starter System. I called Carli yesterday to talk to them and they said the total front lift would be closer to 3".
Old 01-22-2010, 10:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ldornak
I'm looking at the Top Gun Customz arms. They are non-adjustable, but they build them to custom lengths (http://www.topguncustomz.com/Store/G...view=231298700)

I'm looking at the Carli Starter System. I called Carli yesterday to talk to them and they said the total front lift would be closer to 3".
Why don't you do the longer arms and throw in the 2 or 3 inch spacer from top gun at the same time. That would all work well together (except t bar will be a little short) but not unmanageable. Then you can add the Carli later and sell the spacer to someone else.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:51 PM

no offense but if your doing the spacer kit. from carli talk to them and see what they recommend. IMO I would wait and do them at the same time. but good luck hope it turns out okay for you.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DIESELWRKS
no offense but if your doing the spacer kit. from carli talk to them and see what they recommend. IMO I would wait and do them at the same time. but good luck hope it turns out okay for you.
Yes waiting and doing a complete lifted setup all at once would be this best.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:21 PM

I have Carli springs(hemi coils) and if you want to know exactly how much lift you will gain measure inbetween the spring perches I'm at 14-1/4, (I'll have to double check to comfirm the measurement, but even if I'm wrong its only by 1/4inch)
Old 01-24-2010, 09:52 AM

I ended up calling Top Gun Customz to ask about issues installing longer CAs on stock height. They told me that there shouldn't be any alignment issues, but I might have a clearance issue with the track bar. I think I'll wait and do everything at once.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:31 AM

Dont mean to hijack, but i just bought my 02 with coil spacers on it already and the front axle is situated to the drivers side some. This means i simply have to put an adjustable track bar on and adjust untill the front axle is centered side to side again?

Quick Reply: Can I install longer control arms prior to leveling?