2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

A/C question 2000 2500

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C question 2000 2500

My A/C quit working so assuming it was a freon problem I bought a can with the low pressure gauge. When I hooked it up there was no pressure showing. i added about half a can and the compressor sounded like it kicked on. The gauge went up and as i added more it went to 45psi. Then I heard a pist sound from the compressor area and the pressure fell to 0 then went back up and I heard the sound again and it dropped. Is there a pressure switch that can go out? Does not blow any cool air. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:15 AM

you should be able to see the compressor clutch turn if it is energizing. the compressor may be kicking on and off till the pressure stabilizes above the low pressure switch.

It is very hard to trouble shoot if someone does not know the operation of an a/c system.

if there was no pressure showing with the guage , 1/2 a can will not be enough to keep the compressor energized to get it to cool.Assumeing that the guage is correct.

if you do not have a steady supply of freon to the compressor it will short cycle when the pressure falls below the low pressure switch cut out.

Or the sound you hear may be a leak in the high side looseing freon. Hard to guess with few details.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:10 AM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your best bet is to try to find someone with a set of manifold gauges. That way you can diagnose the problem. Most likely, it just all leaked out over winter (or any period when you didn't use the A/C) and now it just needs a leaking part replaced and recharged. If you like doing stuff yourself, a set of A/C gauges is a good investment. You can get a set at harbor frieght pretty cheap that will work fine. Get that and a cheap vacuum pump and do a little reading. Howstuffworks.com is actually a pretty good recource for a basic understanding. You can use the pump to "pull a vacuum" and see if it's a bad leak. It's really a lot more simple than it sounds!
Old 10-20-2010, 09:25 AM

Thanks Evan I will get those. I try to do everything I can myself to save $$. Will it damage the compressor if I drive the truck with out fixing it right away? I have several projects going right now and it may be a while before I can get to it unless I have to.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:34 AM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It should be fine for a while. Just pull a vacuum before you charge it.