2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

a/c forced air mode actuator?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a/c forced air mode actuator?

I've got defrost and off. That's it(assume that recirc. is good) How do I get to this actuator? Dodge priced a new one at 35 bucks. Not too bad, to get that cool air where you want it. It's been hotter than a half cracked fox in a forest fire here
Old 08-19-2003, 02:09 PM

Re:a/c forced air mode actuator?

I just went through this. I pulled the shifter console out and pulled a bracket with some sort of electrical device and moved it to the side without disconnecting it (didn't know what it was). Then I could see the actuator and lever. This is the hardest actuator to get to. When working it I noticed the lever that the actuator was moving was going up and down. It had slipped off of the shaft. So I turned it to defrost, jammed something under the lever to force it back on the shaft and it works fine now.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-19-2003, 07:57 PM

So you didnt have to replace yours?Hopefully be the same with mine. Thanks for the tip.
Old 08-20-2003, 08:56 AM

no, I didn't have to replace the actuator. I got down next to the pedals with a flashlight and turned the ac *** and could see the actuator working but the lever kept popping up and down on the shaft.
Old 08-24-2003, 03:18 PM

Well, I finally got time to work on mine. I did like you did and turned the **** while watching the actuators. I dont see a thing moving. I could see two actuators, one behind the shifter, one above the go pedal. The one above the go pedal is the mode actuator I assume because I pulled it down with my hand and air came out the panel vents. ;D Next problem is I took the hose off the actuator and could feel no vacuum. I assume there should be enough there to feel easily? I'm wondering if I have vacuum at all or if my mode selector switch/valve is bad?
Old 08-24-2003, 10:12 PM

The answer for me is a melted vacuum supply line that runs along the firewall above the downpipe. Came loose and fell down on it. A little patching and maybe all is ok. Found a thread on another forum. Several different problems were mentioned. Any searches on this may try there also.
Old 09-14-2003, 12:48 AM

Well, today my 97 started with defrost only mode while operating the air conditioner. The cruise control operates OK with its vacuum supply so I assume that I have vacuum and the problem is a vacuum leak in the heater/air conditioner system or the defective actuator linkage. The service manual talks about two check valves, a vacuum reservoir under the air plenum, and the rotary heater mode switch.

Does anyone else have some more experience with this problem?

Does anybody have a link to this topic on the "other" site. If it is the site I think you are talking about, you need to be a paying member to search.
Old 09-14-2003, 04:13 PM
Banned

I to had this problem, twice! The problem is dodge used a pretty cheap looking vacume motor, the system has to hold the lever open to pass air to the dash vents. It's defualt is defrost, I guess that is for safety?? Anyway, it's not that big of a problem. The 35 bucks they quoted you was about what I payed, so I guess that was about right. The dodge part number is 4720279AB ACTUATO71-C i HAVE IT AT LIST $41.20 NET$34.35. The first thing to check before tairing the dash apart, is that the vacume line to the vacume pump is connected, I've had mine come off before. If thats good, lets go rip the dash apart. Remove the plastic cover under the steering wheel, usually 4-5 screews, and anything you mounted under the dash. Then take out the metal dash reinforcement bar, it's only a few screews, now you can get to the actuator. It's the one one the left of the ac duct, silver colored with a line attached too the bottom, i think it was yellow. If you start your truck, and put the ac control to the middle vent position, you should have a vacume reading at the yellow line. Mine read a healthy 25 inches. The actuator is held in by two screews, remove them and take control arm off. Thats it, just put everything back.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:53 PM

y-knot hit it dead on. Could not give a better description. It is now fixed. Thanks.
Old 09-16-2003, 08:58 AM
Banned

Glade to hear you got it fixed! Good job.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:37 PM

Play it again, Sam.

Had to do this job again. Previous fix lasted 2 1/2 years. At least this time I knew what was wrong.