2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Buying A New Truck. What to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying A New Truck. What to look for?

I am looking a picking up a truck later this week. Problem is i really don't know anything about diesel engines. And dodge trucks as i have never owned one.

Here is the low down
It is a 1999 Dodge Single Cab Long Bed
24 Valve
Auto tranny
4x4
6" Skyjacker lift
weld wheels
35x12.50's
New Wheel Bearings on both fronts
Gauges (boost & egt)
Gooseneck

I was told it seaps a little in between the tranny and engine. I hear this is someone what normal on a diesel that has been turned up a little.

What else should i look for in these trucks? Driveablitly wise what should i expect?

Thanks,
Josh
Old 03-27-2007, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by 91rangerturbo
I am looking a picking up a truck later this week. Problem is i really don't know anything about diesel engines. And dodge trucks as i have never owned one.

Here is the low down
It is a 1999 Dodge Single Cab Long Bed
24 Valve
Auto tranny
4x4
6" Skyjacker lift
weld wheels
35x12.50's
New Wheel Bearings on both fronts
Gauges (boost & egt)
Gooseneck

I was told it seaps a little in between the tranny and engine. I hear this is someone what normal on a diesel that has been turned up a little.

What else should i look for in these trucks? Driveablitly wise what should i expect?

Thanks,
Josh
A seap from the bellhousing isn't normal for a turned up engine - it means a seal is going (or oil is running down from somewhere else). You probably want to get a good diesel shop to look it over, but some basic things you can do include: rock steering back and forth - anything more than minimal play means something needs to be replaced. Lift each corner, and rock the wheel side to side, and up and down (checks for play in bearings and balljoints). Check out all the u-joints (commonly 8 of them), look for signs of grease at them and all the tie-rod ends - this is one things where a little mess can be a good sign, actually, as it shows the rig is getting greased.

If you were used to the diesel, I would say listen for any unusual engine noises... but in any event, listen for any harsh noises, clangs, etc. - the engine should run smoothly. I would probably check the fuel pressure on a 24v, and if it is lower than 5 psi at WOT (I believe that's the stat), budget a replacement lift pump AND injection pump (as it may already have taken out the IP). The IP is the expensive piece.

Like any vehicle, go over for rust, collisions, etc. How does it drive? Does it handle well? How are the shocks? How is the interior? You can oftne tell how well a truck has been taken care of by just getting a feel for it.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:08 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check for the 53 block. That leakage might be from a cracked block. If it is don't buy it!
http://www.stamey.info/Truck/Cummins53BlockFAQ.htm
Old 03-27-2007, 11:20 AM

thanks for all the info. I just need to find out if it has the 53 block. Very informative link scott.