2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Burried to the bumper...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 12:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Burried to the bumper...

I was wondering if there are any spot on the front of a 2nd Gen you can jack up with a jack-all?
The other night I was on my way back from a friends out in the country when we had the great idea to take the shortcut. long story short, there was mud under the snow and hard icy ground between the muddy ruts my tires found their way into, anyways I got high centered on the front diff and transfer-case skid plate. If there was a place to put the jack-all I could have "easily" lifted the front end andput the tires back on hard ground.
Thanks Fred.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:20 AM

Location: Ordered to Elizabeth City NC. rather be back in north Idaho
Doubt it with a stock bumper, and even with an aftermarket (or in my case, homemade) bumper on, I'm not sure I'd relish the idea of asking those puny little frame rail ends to lift our 1000+ lb engine up like that. I don't know they might take it, I used to do this with the front of my Land Rover all the time but to be brutally honest that discovery's front chassis was better built than my Ram's, and the little aluminum 4.0L Rover engine weighed a heck of a lot less then the 12v. If something gives way that bumper is gonna slam up or rotate up and smash into your grill, headlights, all those radiators and intercooler...

anyway just my $0.02.

ed
Old 04-25-2008, 12:05 PM

I cant say that any OEM vehicle bumper made in the last 30 years would be suitable for lifting a vehicle to even change a tire, much less enough to get one un-stuck. I built front/rear bumpers and rock sliders for my pathfinder and can lift the truck from any point, but thats with some heavy duty metal and a vehicle that weighs (literally) a ton less (and a butt load of bracket reinforcements).

I would not do it. Get a winch truck (big rig) or something to pull you out of you can. Or just wait for it to dry up and grab your buddy's and some shovels