2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Broken power seat

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My drivers seat also had a binding problem going forward or reverse. The small drive cable was slipping where the solid square input end to the flex cable was attached. The cable is driven by the motor. You can't buy just the part. It is sold with the seat assembly for about $400 from the dealer. I went to the hardware store and bought a piece of square stock and cut it to the length as the cable. With a little playing around with track adjustments I got it working. I could have brazed the cable if I had the tools. Anyway check the drive cable. The small motor under the seat drives the right and left tracks and must be equal across to prevent binding. I just frosted me that the drive cables were not available as a separate part fron the seat track assembly.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by rolling18
im jumping in on this problem!!!
i have SAME problem in my 96 with the rear up/ down switch...
it works for a few seconds, slowly dies out then next day it works same way, at this rate it will take 2 mos to get the height correct lol
I had the same problem with BOTH of my up/down motors. I took them out and took them apart to see what was up. There appears to be some kind of current limiting device in the motor endcap that got "weak" on both of mine. I think it is to prevent motor overheat in the case of a stuck switch, or (very likely) something falling out of your pocket and getting wedged between the switch and the door. I laid jumpers across the current limiter on mine, and they worked fine. HOWEVER!!!! This aparently overloaded the switch, because a couple weeks later, I was driving to the store and started smelling a really nauseating stench coming from under the seat. I pulled over quickly and looked under the seat to see one of the motors smoking and dripping nasty smelling hot greasy stuff. I pulled the connector from the motor and things calmed down. When I got home I checked the switch and it was indeed stuck.
Bottom line: Probably best just to replace the motor if it's exhibiting this behavior.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:35 PM

thanks for the info!!
like other have said, i took my seat out, and was unable to find a way to remove just the motor, so I cleaned it up a bit, brushed off the dirt, re lubed every thing and got minimal improvement. i think ill just live with it for now, i dont change it much anyway im the only driver.
now the ball goints and steering parts have become priority as well as a TST #5 power kit
Old 07-13-2008, 07:21 PM

Thanks this was helpful!

My drivers power seat was kinda screwed up. The front tilt lever mostly worked fine. The rear tilt lever would go up, but not down. (Pushing down on the middle toggle would fix that though.) The middle toggle would go up and down fine, but would only go forward not back. I thought about reversing/switching the connectors or motors, but tried something else first. I removed the switch assembly from the seat. I pulled the connector off and then pulled off the faceplate to reveal the contacts. (Watch out for that spring and plunger thingy. It'll fall out and you'll have to sit down, mumble, and figure out where it came from. I put it into the hole in the backside of the middle toggle. That looked right.) Once I put it all back together every switch operated the seat as it should. (Yeah!) It sounded like there was gravel in the gears when it moved the seat back and forth, but at least it moves back now. Shoving my six foot frame into that seat for the 200+ mile trip home with the seat moved halfway forward was a bit of a drag.

Hopfully this helps someone in the future!
Old 07-29-2008, 09:52 AM

I am needing help with this now. I just bought a 95 with a power seat and it didn't move at all. I unbolted the seat and cleaned stuff up and I still cannot get the seat to move forward or back. I can see each end of the drive shafts spinning but it isn't turning the threaded tracks.