2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Brite Box and relay harness for headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brite Box and relay harness for headlights?

Has anyone run both the Brite Box and the LMC relay harness for their headlights? I was thinking that combining the two would be the ultimate light output. I am amazed at how poorly these headlights illuminate the road, especially after driving my wife's GMC Envoy.

My concern is the bulb overheating on high beam and either melting the lense or burning out the bulb prematurely. Is this possible?

I just ordered the Brite Box, and if no one has a good reason why I shouldn't, I think I'm going to order the relay harness too and see what that does for light output.

I just installed a set of the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra bulbs too, but I see that some people are not very happy with the longevity of those bulbs, so I'll probably carry the bulbs that I took out with me as spares.

I figured while my truck is out of commission anyway, I may as well do some other upgrades while I'm at it, right?

Any thoughts??
Old 12-11-2009, 03:20 PM

Not sure but doesn't the Brite Box have the relays built into it?
Old 12-11-2009, 04:16 PM

Apparently not. I emailed the tech dept of the company that makes the brite box, and they said that this combination of box and harness has been done a lot, and the only issue they see from users is that the combination can tend to run bulbs on the ragged edge of their limits, poorer quality bulbs will explode sometimes, although rarely.

Their recommendation was to use just a regular Sylvania bulb, not a Silverstar or Extra life model, as they tend to be more durable. The combination of harness and Brite box will be sufficient to light things up.

The only reason I asked was that while I liked the extra light that I got when I pulled back on the hi-low switch, and it'd be great to have that all the time when I have the high beams on, I find that I spend most of the time with the low beams on. The Brite Box doesn't offer any advantage in that case. So, with the harness, I (hopefully) get the best of both worlds.

So, I guess I will give it a shot and see what happens. Maybe I'll be smart about it and do it in stages and take comparitive pictures of each step and post them so you can judge the results for yourselves.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:48 PM

I just installed the LMC harness on my truck. It is definatly an improvement. I did have to add length to the wires. There was no way to safely route them at the length it came. good luck.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:36 AM

I did the relay thing, built my own harness, about five years ago, big improvement! Then I found a mod online that uses a 35 cent splice instead of a
$100. bright box. Both have worked great and have given me no problems.

Floyd
Old 12-12-2009, 09:49 AM

don't install the bright box.
if you want to do both items, order the lmc harness (or make ur own) and you will end up with an unused factory plug on pass side. next go to raduishack and buy a $.50 one way diode to use as a jumper on the socket \9low beam pin to high beam pin) . . . .
Old 12-13-2009, 12:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hi
Doj Dewd has it right , wire relay harness then the diode , did mine app 10,000 miles ago and love it .

i also have flosser 100W L /80W h beam bulbs , low beam is bright !

and when i hit the high beams i have all 4 on , high and low beam .

have stock headlights and no melting anything here .

wire harness looked too short at first till i removed some of the tie wraps and tuged on it and it was plenty long , just the way they had it wraped made it short ?
dont get 100W bulbs with blue tint they do NOT put out any better light than stock ones !
Old 12-13-2009, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by 400Magnum
I just installed a set of the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra bulbs too, but I see that some people are not very happy with the longevity of those bulbs, so I'll probably carry the bulbs that I took out with me as spares.

I figured while my truck is out of commission anyway, I may as well do some other upgrades while I'm at it, right?

Any thoughts??

Are your headlight housings original and if so are they fading/yellowing? I installed the relay harness combined with Silverstars and saw improvement. After polishing the factory lenses with a kit from Permatex I believe, the quality increased a bit more, but the lenses didn't stay unblemished for more than a year, maybe less.

Finally, and what I'm totally stoked about, are the sport headlights I installed with clear lenses that I got off ebay. The picture is of when I was aligning them against my garage door. Driver's side is new sport, as seen in reflection, and passenger side oem. Keep in mind both sides have the Sylvania Silverstars in them with relays, and the difference in light quality and color is due to the factory lens's fading and prism design. A buddy of mine who's going through same ordeal couldn't believe how much the sport lenses put out, he's ordering a set for his. And just a word on the Silverstars longevity, I put one in my Harley Ultra Classic for better lighting, and with as much vibration as its cammed v-twin puts out I would have expected it to have burned out the first month, but it's still working fine almost a year later.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by oldblues
hi
Doj Dewd has it right , wire relay harness then the diode , did mine app 10,000 miles ago and love it .

i also have flosser 100W L /80W h beam bulbs , low beam is bright !

and when i hit the high beams i have all 4 on , high and low beam .

have stock headlights and no melting anything here .

wire harness looked too short at first till i removed some of the tie wraps and tuged on it and it was plenty long , just the way they had it wraped made it short ?
dont get 100W bulbs with blue tint they do NOT put out any better light than stock ones !
actually 'oldblues' was the one who told me about the harness/diode method. works very well.

word of caution with this though - i did this with the aftermarket one-piece housings as opposed tot he oem housings.
why that matters - the aftermarket housings reflect the light backwards into the lense with a little 'hood' around part of the bulb; the oem housings have nothing in close proximity to the bulb. i believe the 'hood' did not allow the extra heat to dissipate and one of my bulbs actually blew into pieces and made a mess of the housing. with oem housings i'm sure it works just fine as oldblues can attest to that - even with high wattage bulbs!
Old 12-15-2009, 02:09 PM

Where can you buy the LMC harness from? I know summit used to carry something similar, but the part has N/A next to it now, and I haven't been able to find anything through google or bing on a relay harness for a descent price.

Thanks,
Brad
Old 12-15-2009, 02:15 PM

Nevermind I found it...

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/de/full.aspx?Page=46
Old 12-15-2009, 03:30 PM
Chapter President

Here is what I did. I would vote skip the harness and bulbs go straight to HIDS

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...e-t189530.html
Old 12-15-2009, 06:06 PM

Thanks for the info Haloman. My only issue with that is I'm trying to keep this on the cheap. My truck is far from clean, so I'm looking for function on the cheap. Just out of curiosity, how much did the HID kit, light housing, and ebay fogs cost you?

You also mentioned that you went through a bunch of the silverstar bulbs before you changed over to HID's, what wattage and type of bulb were you running (9004 or 9007)?
Old 12-15-2009, 06:14 PM
Chapter President

I ran the 100w Flosser, Standard 9004s, Standard wattage 9004 Silverstatrs/Ultras and cool blues. All of them burned out in a short time.

Housings are $130ish
I would get the 9004 HI/Low kit from flash plus on Ebay. $79.99 shipped
The walmart fogs were $20, did away with those after I broke the bracket during an adjustment a year later. Ebay stock fog replacements were like $60 ish dollars. I can get you links if you need them.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by haloman
I ran the 100w Flosser, Standard 9004s, Standard wattage 9004 Silverstatrs/Ultras and cool blues. All of them burned out in a short time.

Housings are $130ish
I would get the 9004 HI/Low kit from flash plus on Ebay. $79.99 shipped
The walmart fogs were $20, did away with those after I broke the bracket during an adjustment a year later. Ebay stock fog replacements were like $60 ish dollars. I can get you links if you need them.
Excellent post - thx.

Do you have a link for them? I searched ebay and came up with nothing

Quick Reply: Brite Box and relay harness for headlights?