2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brakes

my brakes have needed to be changed for a few weeks on my 01 now but i havnt had the time.today however they became real mushy.i had to push down on the pedal real hard to stop.later in the day on the way home from work my "abs" dash light came on as well as the parking brake light.i checked the fluid level and looks fine.any help would be great before i work on it.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:12 AM

check vaccum hose that goes to brake booster.if it is off or leaking it will take lots of effort to push pedal.
Old 04-12-2008, 03:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cannonballtn
check vaccum hose that goes to brake booster.if it is off or leaking it will take lots of effort to push pedal.
The 01 should have hydro-boost and not vacuum boost. It runs off the power steering pump. Check your power steering fluid level for starters and check for leaks. I replaced my hydro-boost 2 years ago. The hydro-boost is mounted to the firewall (on my 97) and the master cylinder is mounted onto the hydroboost. When you push on brake pedal a plunger pushes into the hydroboost unit and another plunger from the hydrboost unit pushes into the brake master cylinder to operate your boosted brakes.

I determined my leak was power steering (from my hydroboost) by adding flourescent tranny dye (a few ounces...from NAPA) to the power steering fluid and then shined a flourescent light on the leak and it was green so I knew it was a hydroboost power steering leak.

Does your steering pump groan or not work right...that would indicate its leaking. Then you need to look at brake fluid level and see if its low. If it is look for brake fluid leak either at a caliper or in rear at brake wheel cylinders.

I suppose it could also be a bad master cylinder or maybe the ABS is messing it up.

Maybe that will help get you started.

Edit: After re-reading your thread I see you fluid in brakes are OK, so check power steering fluid. Even if its not low the hyrdoboost could be bad or you could have air in your brakes. Replace the pads and shoes and bleed your brakes. Not sure how bleeding will effect the ABS.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:13 PM

problem detected.after a test drive and the brake pedal tention getting even worse, my right rear tire and wheel well became covered in brake fluid.fluid level is empty.the leak appears to be at the fitting between the line and the caliper.i really hope i didnt damage the master cylinder.i did notice the rotors are quite thin.prob putting too much work on the pistons moving the pad to the rotor.thanks for the input.