2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Brake fluid flush or bleed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake fluid flush or bleed?

I'm going to be replacing my brake fluid as part of routine maintenance. I don't think it's been done in a while. I called a shop here and they said they'll do a complete brake fluid flush to get all the old fluid out, as opposed to a system bleeding. This is the first time I've heard of brake fluid flushing. I was wondering, has anyone done it and could it be damaging to any brake system components?
Old 09-02-2008, 05:47 PM
Always a day late, and a dollar short.

Suck out all the old fluid in the reservoir and fill with new fluid. Stick a piece of hose on the right-rear caliper bleeder and into a clean jug filled with new fluid. Loosen the bleeder and pump the brakes until the reservoir is almost empty. Do that twice on all four axles. Flushing helps rid the system of moisture, rust particles, and old fluid.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:25 PM

imports have long recomended the service. The service probablly consists of hooking a vacuum hose to each bleeder and sucking till clean fluid comes through on each brake. Do not push fluild backwards toward MC.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:39 PM

Thanks. So it should be safe then. I'll ask what the machine does to flush it beforehand.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:52 AM

the "machine" is probably one of these ... http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

i have one and so do most of the tech's at the dealers i have worked at. the machine that BG offers works on the same principal but has separate containers for new and old fluid and a cap for the reservoir so they dont suck it dry.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:00 AM

I flushed the brake system on my 96. Get all the old fluid out of M.C. then fill w/new, get clear plastic hose to fit the wheel cyl. loop hose so there is a point that is above the cyl. then open the bleeder. Just let it run, no need to pump the brakes. Watch the fluid, when it runs clear close the bleeder and move to next wheel. Keep an eye on the M.C. don't let it empty. This will take longer than the pumping method but I feel it does a better job and when done the brakes are flushed and bleed.

Floyd
Old 09-03-2008, 10:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blackimpala
... Just let it run, no need to pump the brakes. Watch the fluid, when it runs clear close the bleeder and move to next wheel. Keep an eye on the M.C. don't let it empty. This will take longer than the pumping method but I feel it does a better job Floyd
Did not work for me. Would drain out but a drop every so often. Would have been there all weekend.
Takes two people but push the pedal down and hold it till you can close off the drain. Otherwise you might be sucking air. Release pedal and open valve again.
Start farthest away from Master cyl., work to closest. As mentioned keep reservour filled.

Shop flush can't be any better than the above. Both remove all the fluid and replace it....No?

RJ
Old 09-03-2008, 11:03 AM
Always a day late, and a dollar short.

Actually if you stuck a piece of hose on the bleeder and the other end in a jar/can of fluid, one person can do it his/herself.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:59 AM

Hey guys, how many times do you need to open the bleeder valve and push the brake pedal down to get all the old fluid out of the lines on the farthest wheel?

Well, I just got it done at a shop and needless to say, I won't be going back there... I gotta go to a carwash now and clean all the brake fluid off my axle and wheel well.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by wcbcruzer
Hey guys, how many times do you need to open the bleeder valve and push the brake pedal down to get all the old fluid out of the lines on the farthest wheel?
I seem to remember 8-10 times. Very different with Hydro boost assist.... and anti lock brake. Should be easier without. Maybe they drain easily without??

RJ
Old 09-03-2008, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by RowJ
I seem to remember 8-10 times. Very different with Hydro boost assist.... and anti lock brake. Should be easier without. Maybe they drain easily without??

RJ
Ok, I'm mad now. Now I remember why I always do my own maintenance. Only reason I took it to a shop this time is because I didn't feel like it. What do I get for my money? A ghetto job. For one, they did not repeat the bleed procedure 8 times for the rear wheels. More like 2-3. Second, they didn't put a hose of the bleeder valve! They just let the oil spew all over my wheel well and axle. Aside from my truck, I didn't know it's safe or legal to drain oil onto the ground like that. Hmm.... God knows what other stuff they do. Idiots... Finally, I'm pretty sure the guy pushing the brake pedal pushed it all the way to the floor. I didn't see him put a block under it or anything. Lastly, they used Penzoil brake fluid out of a jug that had already been opened.

Looks like I'll be doing it again myself sometime soon. What a waste of time and money.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by wcbcruzer
- they didn't put a hose of the bleeder valve! They just let the oil spew all over my wheel well and axle.
- I'm pretty sure the guy pushing the brake pedal pushed it all the way to the floor. I didn't see him put a block under it.
- Lastly, they used Penzoil brake fluid out of a jug that had already been opened.
Three bad items. As you seem aware...brake fluid is very corrosive. I use a block under the pedal. I know many that don't with no apparent bad side effects but there is a reason for it. If they used an open can of brake fluid...I would redo it, if it was my truck. Not good.

RJ
Old 09-03-2008, 08:51 PM

Well I went back there on my lunch break. The manager gave me half my money back and cleaned my tires and wheel wells. I'm still not pleased with their service, I just can't believe how crappy it was. I feel really bad for all those people who take their vehicles to these "Jiffy Lube" type places for service. I think I'm going to report them to the better buiness bureau. They can't do business like that and dump used oil on the ground.

When I got home I siphoned out brake fluid from the master cylinder reservoir and refilled it with fresh fluid several times because I saw some particles floating around in it.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:07 PM

I use a mity vac handheld vacuum pump. It has a hose that hooks to the bleeder and a small tank that catches the fluid.
Takes no yime and is under $20.00 at the auto parts stores.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:40 AM

I just tried this on my truck for the first time and it worked great. No mess at all, simple and very effective.

http://www.apexperformance.net/cartg...akebleeder.asp

Quick Reply: Brake fluid flush or bleed?