2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

brake controller wiring/miswiring

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brake controller wiring/miswiring

When I got my truck it had a brakeforce brake controller. It worked as it should have to my knowledge. When I applied the brakes the light on it got brighter. When no brakes the light would be dim. A while back I had a gooseneck hooked up and I blew the trailer light fuse under the hood. The only way the light on the controller and the marker lights would become lit was if I applied the brakes.

I replaced the fuse under the hood and now trailer lights work as they are supposed to. However, now my brake controller stays on full brake all the time. If I push the brake it is still the same illumination. When I let off it goes to normal then climbs like I put the brake on and stays lit. Is the controller fried or do I have something wrong with the truck. All of this is when I do not have a trailer attached. Thanks

swordfish
Old 10-20-2007, 09:22 AM

Doesn't anyone have any ideas or suggestions on this issue?

swordfish
Old 10-20-2007, 09:54 PM

Which brand is the controller ? Have you checked with the mfg web site ? They might have a manual you can download to trouble shoot it.
I just did it with 2 brands ( Valley and DrawTite) and I have manuals here.
They explain how to test box off truck.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:20 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
First thing I would do is double check the gain and level settings on the brake controller.

Next thing I would do is check each of the 4 wires entering the back of the brake controller. The black one is battery power. It should have power all the time. It's probably not an issue. The red wire comes from the brake light switch. It should only have power when the brake is applied and the truck's brake lamps are on. The blue wire is the feed to the trailer's brakes from the brake controller. It shouldn't have power unless the truck's brakes are applied, or the controller's manual lever is applied. It will then light a test lamp to varying intensity depending on the amount of deceleration it senses, or how far you apply the manual lever. IF the blue wire has power when it shouldn't, you must disconnect the blue wire, (leave the others connected), to determine if the power is coming from the brake controller, or if it is coming from a possible short, downstream from the controller.

Clear as mud?
Old 10-22-2007, 10:07 AM

Valv, its a Brakeforce by TAP I believe is the company. I haven't found their website yet to be able to look. I mostly want to make sure its not the truck before I buy a new one and that one doesn't work either. Thanks

swordfish