2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Brake Controller Harness

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Controller Harness

I have recently purchased my first Dodge ( the one in my sig) and was wondering if dodge has a special wiring harness that is for the brake controller thats just plug and play or do i have to Hard wire it which i would rather not do because my 02' powerstroke has a harness that you just plugged in under the dash and it was ready to go just want to know if I can do on the same on my Dodge.

Thanks
Ben
Old 12-13-2010, 11:30 PM

I picked one up from the local trailer shop for under $15 when I bought my controller.

It came in a plastic bag in the glove box when your truck was new. The plug in is under the dash around the steering column I believe. It's been a while.
Be mindful about what wire goes where when you connect the truck pigtail to the controller. The colors probably won't line up. I think black is battery, white is ground, red is trigger, and blue is control output.
No idea what color is what on the truck. The pigtail should be labeled.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:59 AM

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
As mentioned by Yota dodge supplied a pigtail which plugged into the connector which I suspect you could pick up at a variety of places. My first controller used that pigtail and I did have to wire the controller to the pigtail. My second controller came with the plug attached and it was a simple plug in so it may very well depend on the type/brand of controller you have/purchase.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:29 PM

ok thanks I thought so but I wasnt sure
Old 12-14-2010, 06:32 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
There is a blue wire hanging by the parking brake at the firewall. That connects to the trailer brake wire on the brake controller. You will have to get power and ground for the controller.

Look behind the front left tire at the firewall behind the plastic fender well and you will find a plug with three wires. One of these is the blue wire. You can connect to that and run a wire to the trailer plug. You can also add a relay to the trailer light relay socket in the fuse box under the hood. That will power another of those three wires for your trailer lights.

You can look at 1500's in a junk yard and pick up the harness that has the 3 wire plug and wires as well as the trailer plug. This is an easy way to add everything. Just look for a truck with the controller and get everything on the cheep.