2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Bought Truck - time to BOMB!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 01:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought Truck - time to BOMB!

Well, I finally did it. After months of searching I finally found the truck I was looking for. Although it has 215K on the odometer, you can tell it was well cared for. Interior looks like new and it was always garaged so the paint is really good too. It has a brand new transmission (NV4500) and the clutch is less than a year old. Now of course I'm trying to decide what to do first.

The seller said the VP-44 and lift pump are original. My first order of business will be to test the fuel pressure. Then, depending on the results, a FASS or Airdog will be next. BHAF seems like a no brainer. Then I'll probably change all the fluids and the belt. Beyond that, I haven't really decided yet what all I want to do.

Back to the lift pump, although seller said it's original, he was the truck's second owner (buying it when it was about a year old). So it's possible the first owner changed it. Obviously it doesn't have a FASS or Airdog, but wasn't there some dealer option too, like putting a lift pump in the tank? How can I determine if that was done? I just have a real hard time believing the stock lift pump has lasted this long. Seems like most of them barely made it 25K from what I've read.

One other thing I'm wondering, anyone know of a good way to clean the radiator? It looks pretty dirty and I tried spraying it off, but without removing the condenser and intercooler, its really hard to get a good stream and do much.

Any recommendations on other things I need to check, test, or replace due to the mileage would be appreciated!
Old 04-20-2008, 03:47 AM

A way to tell if the pump is in the tank is to check if there is a pump on the side of the engine block. If there is a pump on the engine, there is no pump in the tank.

As far as cleaning the radiator I don't have any other option besides pulling the I/C and condensor. I'm about to tackle this job myself as soon as I have the time.

You nailed it about checking the fuel pressure. 1st thing to do!!! I would change all the fluids; Brake, Clutch, Coolant, Engile oil, Diffs, Tranny

Just give it a good once over, front to back. Enjoy the new truck/toy.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:09 AM
Chapter President

There was a thread a while back on a home made sprayer that flushed the radiator from the back side. Check your puke bottle. it is the little black bottle hanging from the breather tube on the front of the motor. it should be emptied every oil change. This is most likely the cause of your plugged rad.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by wurkenman
There was a thread a while back on a home made sprayer that flushed the radiator from the back side. Check your puke bottle. it is the little black bottle hanging from the breather tube on the front of the motor. it should be emptied every oil change. This is most likely the cause of your plugged rad.
If it is still there, RELOCATE IT!!! I just extended my hose to behind the T-case. Transmission in your case.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:14 AM

There is a cleaning solution that HVAC guys use to clean your outside condensing unit for your home A/C. That might work wonders on radiators.
You spray it on and if foams up and leaves everything squeaky clean.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:29 PM

Pull Rad to clean. Mine was so nasty, no amount of on vehicle cleaning would have accomplished. Rad shop had fit cleaning rad and shroud. Was able to clean front of engine very good with rad out.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:14 PM

Well, as previously stated, checking fuel pressure will be the first order of business. I do plan on installing gauges when I have a chance, but in the mean time, I ordered this from Geno's: http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo....ULCAN_TEST_KIT
Obviously it'll be easy to get an idle reading, but I can't think of any way to get a WOT reading. I'm guessing that simply running the engine up in neutral won't get the desired results because there is no load on it. Will an idle reading be adequate for now? Also, anyone here use one of these Vulcan Test Kits? I guess you hook it up with the engine shutdown, then start the engine, then open the valve on the Vulcan? I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the results will be good!
Old 04-25-2008, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by RDMueller
Well, as previously stated, checking fuel pressure will be the first order of business. I do plan on installing gauges when I have a chance, but in the mean time, I ordered this from Geno's: http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo....ULCAN_TEST_KIT
Obviously it'll be easy to get an idle reading, but I can't think of any way to get a WOT reading. I'm guessing that simply running the engine up in neutral won't get the desired results because there is no load on it. Will an idle reading be adequate for now? Also, anyone here use one of these Vulcan Test Kits? I guess you hook it up with the engine shutdown, then start the engine, then open the valve on the Vulcan? I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the results will be good!
there should be enough hose to set it on top of the hood and go down the road to see the WOT pressure
Old 04-26-2008, 09:56 AM

I myself just got one about 3 months ago. The things you mention are all good. I too am going through every service item I can think of. Fluids I have changed include transmission, brake, transfer case, both diffs, power steering (this is an often overlooked one), engine (duh), and coolant. I would suggest doing all of these as well. There are useful threads on here to help with all of these. Also if you do the coolant yourself that is a great time to pull the rad and clean it up good.

I also did the fan belt, clean/replace IAT & MAP sensors, and APPS recalibrate. There are still several thing I need to get to, but these are a good start.

One thing I haven't done that you should is adjust your valves.